LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manjunath   20 July 2019

How to file written statement as defendant in civil court

We are the defendants in a civil case concerning property dispute. On 19.07.2019 the court gave us summons to which we attended in person. The next visit is scheduled on 26.08.2019 and its purpose is written statement. My question is whether on 26.08.2019 should i handover written statement along with supporting documents to judge or within 30 days of summon date i.e. 19.07.2019.

Learning

3 Replies

Adv Deepak Joshi +917017821512 (Advocate)     20 July 2019

take help of local Advocate

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     21 July 2019

The written statement is most important, as all further proceedings depend on such statement only and it also may give the meaning of admissions. You may also have to file documents in support of your version. Filing a written statement is an art, and it should go with plaint averment admitting or countering each point raised in plaint.  During arguments or deposition, a defendant can not go over and above what is stated in his written statement.   Always seek the professional help of advocate and prepare a draft of facts vis a vis plaint averments so that you can discuss with your advocate before finalizing written statement.  

P. Venu (Advocate)     21 July 2019

You have the option to engage an advocate and he would take care of the drafting and filing of the Written Statement.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register