Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

kirti kabra   16 August 2018

Legal Provisions of Section 173 of Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (Cr.P.C.), India.

Report of police officer on completion of investigation:

The Code of Criminal Procedure provides for certain reports which the investigating police officer is required to send from time to time. They are to be sent at three different stages of investigation. They are:

(1) A preliminary report when an officer-in-charge of the police station sends to the Magistrate under Section 157.

(2) A report from the subordinate police officer to the officer-in-charge of the police station under Section 168, and

(3) A final report of the police officer after the completion of investigation to be sent to the Magistrate under Section 173. This report is commonly called as ‘chargesheet’ or “challan”

The time limit prescribed is 60 days for offences punishable with 10 years / less and 90 days in other cases as per sec 167(2) of crpc and if police fail to submit charge sheet with in the this time limit,accused is entitled to  bail as a matter of right , from the magistrate court itself, even in sessions cases
1 Like

Sharwanand   17 August 2018

Hi Sir / Mam, 

As per the answers given above.  I have a question , please sugguest.

My brothers wife kept false case (498 a and 307) on complete family and we got bail from High court. Its almost 10months completed and charge sheet is not prepared  because police poeple also know its false case 

What can myself and my family members can do to get out of this case ?  and what is the next step can i try to save my family from this false case.

Police people are not submitting charge sheet its over 10months completed. 

As per the comments above mentioned, could you please let me know , if it is only 3 months is the time limit for charge sheet , how can investigation officer can take 10months to submit charge sheet ? in my case ?

Please suggest.

If police are managing the court poeple ? how much time they can manage ? what can i do to save my family ?

RAJENDRA PRASAD (ADVOCATE AT SECUNDERABAD BAR ASSOCIATION HYDERABAD TELANGANA STATE )     17 August 2018

Sir,

Don't worry Sir, When Investigation Completed the Investigation Officer file Charge sheet . 

468 Cr.P.C.

The period of limitation shall be—

1. six months, if the offence is punishable with fine only;
  2. one year, if the offence is punishable with imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year;
  3. three years, if the offence is punishable with imprisonment for a term exceeding one year but not exceeding three years

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register