LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sai narayana   15 May 2017

How to prove a document like railway ticket in court

In CrPC 125 case, I filed a petition for allowing some documents like original Railway ticket, Income certificate of my father-in-law, My Bank statement etc along with my Evidence-chief-affidavit.

The Court allowed them but put a conditional wording that subjected to proof and didn't marked them as exhibits.

To prove a document do we need to do anything specifically or the Court/Judge itself will decide whether the document is valid, genuine or fake?

If the burden on the litigant, then how can I prove the genunity of original train ticket, Railway Pass, My father-in-law's income certificate issued by his village M.R.O., My bank statement issued by bank manager etc.

Learning

12 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     15 May 2017

Certified/authenticated copies with proper seal and signature may be accepted.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     16 May 2017

Certified copies obtained under RTI Act are bonafide /Valid documentary evidences.  File RTI Application and enclose copies for ready information, and you may try to get the same.

sai narayana   16 May 2017

Originally posted by : G.L.N. Prasad
Certified copies obtained under RTI Act are bonafide /Valid documentary evidences.  File RTI Application and enclose copies for ready information, and you may try to get the same.

The train ticket and pass are flushed out from the database as they pertain to 2 to 3 years back. And also railways don't provide such as far as I know.

For my bank statement, already bank employee put his seal and signature.

For Income certificate of my father-in-law, it is already a original certified by M.R.O.  

For computer invoice copies for gifts I bought for my wife, I can't collect certified copies.

Is there anything I can do from my end now??

Kumar Doab (FIN)     16 May 2017

For computer invoices ask the seller to affix seal and signature.

sai narayana   17 May 2017

Originally posted by : Kumar Doab
For computer invoices ask the seller to affix seal and signature.

Sir out of two gifts, one is bought and sent to her address through www.snapdeal.com and another is through www.amazon.in. I don't think they help me with seal etc.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     17 May 2017

Might have already affixed digital seal on bill. The email conversation and delivery reports might be available with you.

Explain ( in writing) the matter to them and ask to provide you with authenticated ( additional Authentication if possible ) copies for satisfaction of court.

The reply (whatever) may be submited to court.

The route for RTI to private establishments is thru Regulator.

Assuming that you have an issue pertaining to billing etc that is covered under Legal Metrology.

Lodge complaint with local Inspector.

Pursue RTI route to get authenticated copies from Authority.

They shall run to reply since penal provisions are severe.

Or if you can manage: Involve the persons that matter and you will get everything.

Then courts of law have unparalled powers to summon and get a document/information.

whatnot   18 May 2017

Dispute the charge with Credit card compnay.

They will raise issue with online company.

And investigation will be done. And online compnay will provide proof of delivery time of transaction (with IP address).

Tell the credit card company to send it you.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     18 May 2017

Write to all stakeholders in said docs, under proper acknowledgment of course.

The trail of communications can also be in your favor.

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     20 May 2017

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Difference-between-exhibit-and-mark-documents--304236.asp

Go through link above. My view is the opposite party must dispute about genuineness of document produced by you. if they don't dispute there is no need for you to prove genuineness of the document. Some documents court will explicitly allow...that means even if opposite party disputes genuineness of it court will accept it as proved document.

On the other hand merely marked documents subject to proof means if opposite party disputes genuineness of it, you have to prove it. If they don't dispute they are as good as documents explicitly allowed by Court. 

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     20 May 2017

(12) In Baldeo Sahai VS. Ram Chander & Ors., Air 1931 Lahore 546 it was said :- 

"There are two stages relating to documents. One is the stage when all the documents on which the parties rely are filed by them in Court. The next stage is when the documents 'MC. proved and formally tendered in evidence. It is at this later stage that the Court has to decide whether they should be admitted or rejected. If they are admitted and proved then the seal of the Court is put on them giving certain details laid down by law, otherwise the documents are resumed to the party who produced them with an endorsement thereon to that effect." A reading of the report shows that it was the practice of the Court to endorse the documents soon on their filing which practice was deprecated and hence slopped. The word "proved" has been used by the Division Bench in the sense of 'proposed to be proved' as is clear from its having been used Along with the word 'tendered' or "admitted" in evidence. The word proved has been loosely used for describing the stage after fling of the documents, when the Court would decide only whether they should be admitted or rejected. The Division Bench cannot be read as holding that the document is not to be endorsed with an Exhibit number unless and until proved. As staled in para 6 hereinabove, the stages of tendering/admitting/rejecting in evidence and holding a document proved - are two distinct and different stages, not one. They are respectively the second and third stages

(13) Admission of a document in evidence is not to be confused with proof of a document.

(14) When the Court is called upon to examine the admissibility of a document it concentrates only on the document. When called upon to form a judicial opinion whether a document has been proved, disproved or not proved the Court would look not at the document alone or only at the statement of the witness standing in the box; it would take into consideration probabilities of the case as emerging from the whole record. It could not have been intendment of any law, rule or practice direction to expect the Court applying its judicial mind to the entire record of the case, each lime a document was placed before it for being exhibited and form an opinion if it was proved before marking it as an exhibit.

(15) The marking of a document as an exhibit, be it in any manner whatsoever either by use of alphabets or by use of numbers, is only for the purpose of identification. While reading the record the parties and the Court should be able to know which was I he document before the winless when it was deposing. Absence of putting an endorsement for the purpose of identification no sooner a document is placed before a witness would cause serious confusion as one would be left simply guessing or wondering while was the document to which the witness was referring to which deposing. Endorsement of an exhibit number on a document has no relation with its proof. Neither the marking of an exhibit number can be postponed till the document has been held proved; nor the document can be held to have been proved merely because it has been marked as an exhibit.

(16) This makes the position of law clear. Any practise contrary to the above said statement of law has no sanctity and cannot be permitted to prevail.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register