LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Joy Banerjee (Photographer)     27 March 2017

Did i commit a crime?

I know of a girl who was cheating on her boyfriend. I couldn't just see it standing. I thought it was fair to inform the guy. I told the guy everything anonymously via Facebook. Did I do a crime?

Learning

3 Replies

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Joy Banerjee
I know of a girl who was cheating on her boyfriend. I couldn't just see it standing. I thought it was fair to inform the guy. I told the guy everything anonymously via Facebook. Did I do a crime?
Section 419 in The Indian Penal Code
419. Punishment for cheating by personation.—Whoever cheats by personation shall be punished with imprisonment of either de­scripttion for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.

Dr. Atul [9013898936] (Lawyer, Scholar)     27 March 2017

Originally posted by : Helping Hand !

Originally posted by : Joy Banerjee

Section 419 in The Indian Penal Code

419. Punishment for cheating by personation.—Whoever cheats by personation shall be punished with imprisonment of either de­scriptttttttion for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.

And just who has he impersonated through an anonymous communication, genius?

416. Cheating by personation.—A person is said to “cheat by personation” if he cheats by pretending to be some other person, or by knowingly substituting one person for another, or representing that he or any other person is a person other than he or such other person really is. Explanation.—The offence is committed whether the individual personated is a real or imaginary person. Illustration

(a) A cheats by pretending to be a certain rich banker of the same name. A cheats by personation.
(b) A cheats by pretending to be B, a person who is deceased. A cheats by personation.

And that is besides the obvious, that the facts stated are not even remotely related to any ingredients to make out an offence of cheating. 

To the OP, why are you worried? Is this just something hypothetical or has someone threatened to take action or taken action against you. Offhand, all I can think of is Section 499 IPC defamation and Section 509 IPC, intending to insult the modesty of a woman by intruding upon her privacy etc.

But that's all very hypothetical - relax and sleep peacefully if you followed your conscience and did a good job. If, on the other hand, you are a vengeful jilted lover, for instance, heavens save you from the woman's wrath!

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     27 March 2017

If a married person had extra-marital relations, it is generally called cheating. But it will not come under IPC, much less if it were on a boyfriend or a girlfriend. Anyway Mr. Joy Banerjee is not asking whether his friend had committed a crime. He wants to know whether he himself had committed one. I could not find anything under IPC. I do not know whether there are any other Acts.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register