Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sex before marriage is Rape says Delhi HC, is it right?

Page no : 6

Rajan Salvi (Lawyer)     08 February 2010

2006 (11) SCC 615

CASE NO.:
Appeal (crl.) 1369 of 2004

PETITIONER: Yedla Srinivasa Rao

RESPONDENT: State of A.P.

DATE OF JUDGMENT: 29/09/2006

BENCH:
A.K. Mathur & Altamas Kabir

The question in the present case is whether this conduct of the accused apparently falls under any of the six descripttions of Section 375 of IPC as mentioned above. It is clear that the prsoecutrix had s*xual intercourse with the accused on the representation made by the accused that he would marry her. This was a false promise held out by the accused. Had this promise not been given perhaps, she would not have permitted the accused to have s*xual intercourse. Therefore, whether this amounts to a consent or the accused obtained a consent by playing fraud on her. Section 90 of the Indian Penal Code says that if the consent has been given under fear of injury or a misconception of fact, such consent obtained, cannot be construed to be valid consent.
Section 90 reads as under:

"Section 90 - Consent known to be given under fear or misconception.- A consent is not such a consent as it intended by any section of this Code, if the consent is given by a person under fear of injury, or under a misconception of fact, and if the person doing the act knows, or has reason to believe, that the consent was given in consequence of such fear or misconception; or Consent of insane person - if the consent is given by a person who, from unsoundness of mind, or intoxication, is unable to understand the nature and consequence of that to which he gives his consent; or Consent of child - unless the contrary appears from the context, if the consent is given by a person who is under twelve years of age."

It appears that the intention of the accused as per the testimony of PW1 was, right from the beginning, not honest and he kept on promising that he will marry her, till she became pregnant. This kind of consent obtained by the accused cannot be said to be any consent because she was under a misconception of fact that the accused intends to marry her, therefore, she had submitted to s*xual intercourse with him. This fact is also admitted by the accused that he had committed s*xual intercourse which is apparent from the testimony of PWs 1, 2 and 3 and before Panchayat of elders of the village. It is more than clear that the accused made a false promise that he would marry her. Therefore, the intention of the accused right from the beginning was not bona fide and the poor girl submitted to the lust of the accused completely being misled by the accused who held out the promise for marriage. This kind of consent taken by the accused with clear intention not to fulfil the promise and persuaded the girl to believe that he is going to marry her and obtained her consent for the s*xual intercourse under total misconception, cannot be treated to be a consent. In this connection, reference may be made to a decision of the Calcutta High Court in the case of Jayanti Rani Panda v. State of West Bengal & Anr., (1984)Cri.L.J.1535. In that case it was observed that in order to come within the meaning of misconception of fact, the fact must have an immediate relevance. It was also observed that if a fully grown up girl consents to the act of s*xual intercourse on a promise of marriage and continues to indulge in such activity until she becomes pregnant it is an act of promiscuity on her part and not an act induced by misconception of fact and it was held that Section 90 IPC cannot be invoked unless the court can be assured that from the inception accused never intended to marry her. Therefore, it depends on case to case that what is the evidence led in the matter. If it is fully grown up girl who gave the consent then it is different case but a girl whose age is very tender and she is giving a consent after persuasion of three months on the promise that the accused will marry her which he never intended to fulfil right from the beginning which is apparent from the conduct of the accused, in our opinion, Section 90 can be invoked. Therefore, so far as Jayanti Rani Panda (supra) is concerned, the porseuctirx was aged 21-22 years old. But, here in the present case the age of the girl was very tender between 15-16 years. Therefore, Jayanti Rani Panda's case is fully distinguishable on facts. It is always matter of evidence whether the consent was obtained willingly or consent has been obtained by holding a false promise which the accused never intended to fulfil. If the court of facts come to the conclusion that the consent has been obtained under misconception and the accused persuaded a girl of tender age that he would marry her then in that case it can always be said that such consent was not obtained voluntarily but under a misconception of fact and the accused right from the beginning never intended to fulfil the promise. Such consent cannot condone the offence. Reliance can also be made in the case of Emperor v. Mussammat Soma reported in (1917) Crl. Law Journal Reports 18 (Vol.18). In that case the question of consent arose in the context of an allegation of kidnapping of a minor girl. It was held that the intention of the accused was to marry the girl to one Dayaram and she obtained Kujan's consent to take away the girl by misrepresenting her intention. In that context it was held that at the time of taking away the girl there was a positive misrepresentation i.e. taking the girls to the temple at Jawala Mukhi and thereafter they halted for the night in Kutiya (hut) some three miles distance from Pragpur and met Daya Ram, Bhag Mal and Musammat Mansa and Musammat Sarasti was forced into marrying Daya Ram. This act was found to be act of kidnapping without consent. But, in the instant case, a girl though aged 16 years was persuaded to s*xual intercourse with the assurance of marriage which the accused never intended to fulfil and it was totally under misconception on the part of the victim that the accused is likely to marry her, therefore, she submitted to the lust of the accused. Such fraudulent consent cannot be said to be a consent so as to condone the offence of the accused. Our attention was also invited to the decision of this Court in the case of Deelip Singh Alias Dilip Kumar v. State of Bihar, [2005] 1 SCC 88 wherein this Court took the view that prosecturix had taken a conscious decision to participate in the s*xual act only on being impressed by the accused who promised to marry her. But accused's promise was not false from its inception with the intention to seduce her to s*xual act. Therefore, this case is fully distinguished from the facts as this Court found that the accused promise was not false from its inception. But in the present case we found that first accused committed rape on victim against her will and consent but subsequently, he held out a hope of marrying her and continued to satisfy his lust. Therefore, it is apparent in this case that the accused had no intention to marry and it became further evident when Panchayat was convened and he admitted that he had committed s*xual intercourse with the victim and also assured her to marry within 2 days but did not turn up to fulfil his promise before the Panchayat. This conduct of the accused stands out to hold him guilty. What is a voluntary consent and what is not a voluntary consent depends on the facts of each case. In order to appreciate the testimony, one has to see the factors like the age of the girl, her education and her status in the society and likewise the social status of the boy. If the attending circumstances lead to the conclusion that it was not only the accused but prosecutrix was also equally keen, then in that case the offence is condoned. But in case a poor girl placed in a peculiar circumstance where her father has died and she does not understand what the consequences may result for indulging into such acts and when the accused promised to marry but he never intended to marry right from the beginning then the consent of the girl is of no consequence and falls in the second category as enumerated in Section 375 -"without her consent". A consent obtained by misconception while playing a fraud is not a consent.

In this connection our attention was also invited to the decision of this Court in the case of Udav v. State of Karnataka, [2003] 4 SCC 46. In this case also this Court held that for determining whether consent given by the prosecutrix was voluntary or under a misconception of fact, no straitjacket formula can be laid down but following factors stand out; (i) where a girl was of 19 years of age and had sufficient intelligence to understand the significance and moral quality of the act she was consenting to; (ii) she was conscious of the fact that her marriage was difficult on account of caste considerations; (iii) it was difficult to impute to the appellant knowledge the prosecutrix had consented in consequence of a misconception of fact arising from his promise, and (iv) there was no evidence to prove conclusively that the appellant never intended to marry the prosecutrix. On the basis of the above factors this Court did not feel persuaded to hold that consent was obtained by misconception of facts on the part of the victim. But as already mentioned above, in the present case we are satisfied that looking to the antecedent and subsequent events that the accused never intended to fulfil the promise of marriage, this was not a case where the accused was deeply in love. In the present case in our hand the accused persuaded her for couple of months but she resisted it throughout. But, on one day he came to the house of her sister and closed the doors and committed forcible s*xual intercourse against her will and consent, holding out a promise for marriage and continued to satisfy his lust. Therefore, this case stands entirely on different footing. We may aid a word of caution that the court of fact while appreciating evidence in such cases should closely scrutinize evidence while taking into consideration the factors like the age of the girl, her education, her social status and likewise the social status of the boy.

In the case of Reg. v. William Case, (a) (1850) Crl. Law Cases 220 (Vol. IV) if a girl does not resist intercourse in consequence of misapprehension, this will not amount to a consent on her part. It was held that where a medical man, to whom a girl of fourteen years of age was sent for professional advice, had criminal connection with her, she making no resistance from a bona fide belief that he was treating her medically, he could be convicted for rape.

Similarly, in the case of The Queen v. Flattery (1877) 2 QBD 410 where the accused professed to give medical advice for money, and a girl of nineteen consulted him with respect to illness from which she was suffering, and he advised that a surgical operation should be performed and, under pretence of performing it, had carnal intercourse with her, it was held that he was guilty of rape.

Likewise, in the case of The King v. Williams (1923)1 KB 340 the accused was engaged to give lessons in singing and voice production to the girl of sixteen years of age had s*xual intercourse with her under the pretence that her breathing was not quite right and he had to perform an operation to enable her to produce her voice properly. The girl submitted to what was done under the belief, wilfully and fraudulently induced by the accused that she was being medically and surgically treated by the accused and not with any intention that he should have s*xual intercourse with her. It was held that the accused was guilty of rape.

In this connection reference may be made to the amendment made in the Indian Evidence Act. Section 114 A was introduced and the presumption has been raised as to the absence of consent in certain prosecutions for rape.
Section 114-A reads as under:
`Section 114 A- Presumption as to the absence of consent in certain prosecutions for rape.- In a prosecution for rape under Cl. (a) or Cl.(b) or Cl.(c) or Cl. (d) or Cl. (e) or Cl. (g) of sub-section (2) of Section 376 of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860), where s*xual intercourse by the accused is proved and the question is whether it was without the consent of the woman alleged to have been raped and she states in her evidence before
the court that she did not consent, the Court shall presume that she did not consent."

If s*xual intercourse has been committed by the accused and if it is proved that it was without the consent of the prosecutrix and she states in her evidence before the court that she did not consent, the court shall presume that she did not consent. Presumption has been introduced by the legislature in the Evidence Act looking to atrocities committed against women and in the instant case as per the statement of PW, she resisted and she did not give consent to the accused at the first instance and he committed the rape on her. The accused gave her assurance that he would marry her and continued to satisfy his lust till she became pregnant and it became clear that the accused did not wish to marry her.

In the present case in view of the facts as mentioned above we are satisfied that the consent which had been obtained by the accused was not a voluntary one which was given by her under misconception of fact that the accused would marry her but this is not a consent in law. This is more evident from the testimony of PW1 as well as PW6 who was functioning as Panchayat where the accused admitted that he had committed s*xual intercourse and promised to marry her but he absconded despite the promise made before the Panchayat. That shows that the accused had no intention to marry her right from the beginning and committed s*xual intercourse totally under the misconception of fact by prosecutrix that he would marry her. Therefore, we are satisfied that the conviction and sentence awarded to the appellant is correct and no case is made out for our interference. The appeals are dismissed.

1 Like

Rajan Salvi (Lawyer)     08 February 2010

Rekhaji, I hope ur query is answered? Regards.

Rekha..... ( Practicing lawyer(B.Com LL.M in Business law ))     08 February 2010

Respected Rajan Salvi Sir... I m absolutely clear now. Thnks for posting this judgement..

Shree. ( Advocate.)     08 February 2010

Dear Respected  members,

"Sex before marriage" It was great to know what you feel.
Really very much astonished to see people hating to utter or write the word "s*x":I would like to share what i feel about that. I do feel that s*x before or after marriage is only your personal choice.  Its you who is going to decide, not the society. Sex and love making is two totally different things.
Sex is something like hunger, maintaining natures call etc. Its a hormone in your/my body.I have a habit of speaking out clearly what I believe in.
So I would tell you freely what I feel. Sex is beautiful when it is love making. You are giving your body to the person you love and this way you surrender to your love with all your mind body and soul. And when it is only s*x, it is just an animal instinct and nothing else.

Marriage as an institution has many loopholes. I dont trust that every married couple are making love just becouase they are married and all the unmarried people who lost their varginity to the person they love were only having s*x.(by now I hope you understand what I mean by making love and having s*x).What you call those physical relationship which have no love at all and they have s*x just because they have social acceptance. This seems so ridiculous to me. I call them  legalised prositution.

Sex when only for the sake of s*x with no love and the sense of commitment is always dirty, cheap. I loath the concept of s*x. No matter if it is before marriage and after marriage.
Love making, with love and complete surrender, which I think is Devine. I would die for that...before marriage or after marriage.There is a vast difference between Having s*x and making love. I hope I could explain my point.

4 Like

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     08 February 2010

Great inference.

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     08 February 2010

adv. rajan & adv shree thanks for your last posting. is this that judgement for which adv assumi started the thread?

R.K.SUNDERRAJ (LAWYER HUBLI,KARNATAKA)     08 February 2010

Shreehas very well interpreted, But we all should carefully analyse the situation under which the judgement was delevered, This judgement is not ment for the persons as mentioned by Shree (True Lovers.)  True lovers dont desert the women after having s*x.

This judgement is exclusively ment and sends the warning signal to the persons who indulge in illegal Acts---FALSE PROMISES---------HAVING SEX==== DESERTING+++++ AND MAKING THE WOMEN TO STRUGGLE.......... NO FURTHER INTERPRETETION I THINK IS REQUIRED.

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     09 February 2010

further analysis is must.

what mr shree says are cameout from his inner heart. i fully suppot his views in this regard. i found that many of us can not diffirentiate between 's*x', 'love' & 'marriage'.

where 's*x' is an animal instinct ; 'love' is social instinct & 'marriage' is the finest form of love. but we the social people make it 'an institution' and this so called institulization, makes the marriage 'a teror', 'a horribol'. stage by stage 'love & marriage' changed it's shape. in ancient society marriage was a -  'a peternity determination system' and nothing else, where by it was determined that who is the father of a child. the burdain to feed the child rested upon him. to ensure this, 'no access' theory was adopted, where women was accessed by a particular men. that's why men could marry many women, but women normally not allowed to accept more than one male . thus marriage was introduced in the society. after sometime, this takes a diffrent shape and female was compled to the slave of a man - called HUSBAND. in modern age in the name of equility, under the cover of marriage, MAN BEING COMPELED TO THE SLAVE OF A WOMAN. a very popular thread going on, on this club that - why man should not marry. now days has come when people will do 's*x', 'love' but 'no marriage'. now marriage is treating as a slavery and become a social teror. ultimately the system of marriage, the 'so called' institution, will go to hell.

Adv. T.K Sujith (lawyer)     09 February 2010

Friends,

We must think why the police inserted a section like 376 in this case...

The police have understood that the existing provisions in our Code are not sufficient to deal with this type of cheating. it may attract existing Sec. 417 or 354 and there is every likelihood of getting bail and an acquittal is almost sure in this case.

But to prevent this type of incidence and as a deterrence the police inserted Sec. 476 and court upheld the above situation also. There is no question of precedent in this matter. The person who charged may count some days behind the bar if he captured... that is all

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     09 February 2010

Having s*x on promise to marry and then not keeping it is the essence of the judgement. 

What about other promises?

Not the police but the legislature amends the Act.

mr thakur,

ipc is central act. perliament is responsible for it. sec 417 is more appropriate. 415 to 420, ipc cover this area.

it is easy to send one behind the bar, but it is very difficult to realize the the feelings of the person behind the bar, his / her family disturbance; their social prestige at stake; please be think of it. if the person is actually guilty, then it  to be considered but if he is not actually guilty, the person is in a trap, then what will be?

please read Adv. T.K Sujith instead of mr thakuur.

mr sujit you are a young man having bright carrier, suppose one girl whom you know well and having good relation, one day came with a complain to court that you promise her to marry, which you yourself know well that - it is false; and the hearing upon her sent you send behind the bar; what will be your feelings and action?

the complains made at police station or court are not always genuine, better to say, a lot of complains are false. many a times court pays less attention on   gunineness of the complains and the innocent people suffers for it.

here one more question involved that, the case of false promise to marry, is converted to rape case. what will happen if the same happened to a boy? 376 can not touch a girl for rape. is it not a discrimination on the basis of gender, under art 15(1) of the constitution? is it a genuine case to protect a person, under art 15(3) of the constitution - as she is women?

Contradiction between art 15(1) & 15 (3) of the constitution not yet judicially decided. Judicial and parliamentary attention badly required on the issue -  to protect the genuinity of a matter.

i am also a victim of such case. i have seen it very closely. i feel the feelings of the genuine parties grivences.

Rajan Salvi (Lawyer)     18 February 2010

MY PERSONAL VIEW. :

The earlier man [ as in mankind] looses his awe about 's*x' and 'religion' the better.

Rajan Salvi (Lawyer)     18 February 2010

Both 'Sex' and 'religion' have been unnecessariily glorified. Both are the cause of oppresion/injustice etc and an excessive indulgence in both befuddles the brain - preventing it from thinking rationally. Both are responsible for distorted views regarding human life. Both possess a persons mind like a vice griping any material. There is no succor. A person disilusioned with one, pursues the other. By the time he realises 'what is what' he becomes old and dies. NExt generation is already there ................... to get fooled. 

1 Like

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     18 February 2010

salvi sir, please explain the matter slight elaborately in plain language. perhaps you are telling some bare truth, but i can't follow it in toto.