Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

LATHIKA   18 February 2016

Service in sbi

Sir,

Iam an employee of State Bank of India. I joined the bank as an Assistant (Clerical Cadre) in 2009 in Thrissur,  Kerala. In the year 2014 I submitted a request to the bank for inter circle transfer to Mumbai on the grounds of joining my spouse who was recruited by Bank of Baroda and posted to Mumbai. My tranfer request was processed and I joined SBI Mumbai in July 2014. I worked for six months in Kurla West branch and then went on a one year sabbatical leave from 7/1/2015 on the grounds of taking care of my three year old son. This leave was duly sanctioned by the authorities concerned. However in the month of September 2015 my husband resigned from BOB and joined Indian Overseas Branch Coimbatore. I had requested for a transfer to Mumbai only to join my spouse. But now he had moved to Coimbatore and it was difficult for me stay back in Mumbai alone with my son . So I submitted a request for transfer from Mumbai to Coimbatore on 07/10/2015. I was supposed to join back after my sabbatical leave on 07/01/2016. I had informed my branch manager as well as the Concerned authorities in the Regional Office , Zonal Office and Local Head Office  of my inability to join in Mumbai . Subsequent to the submission of transfer request I had send three reminders by registered post to my branch as well as other higher officials. I had send  two E-mails also stating my helplessness to join back in Mumbai and requesting them for a speedy processing of my transfer request. I received a mail from my Branch Manager on 8/01/2016 stating that" we have to advise that as per the service conditions and terms of sanction of sabbatical leave, you have to report to branch and resume duties after completion of sanctioned sabbatical leave or you have to apply for extension of sabbatical leave for consideration. If for any reason if you have not joined and resumed duties on or after Dt.08/01/2016, your absence will be treated as unauthorised  leave.  You are requested to take note of this." I had informed the branch that I will not be joining on 07/01/2016 and that I do not want extension of my sabbatical leave . I am willing to join the very next day if I am given a branch in Coimbatore.  There has been no reply from the bank yet and I am still continuing my leave which would be unauthorised leave in the bank records.  I doubt whether this would lead to a termination of my service from the bank. How should I deal with this. Please advise. 

Learning

5 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     18 February 2016

The message conveyed by BM seems to be reasonbale.

However BM has quoted from service conditions/leave rules.

You can go thru these and relate for variance if any at your end or bank's end.

The Bank Employee's union leaders can also guide you.

You may act ASAP before you fall for disciplinary action and that may be irreversible.

ROHIT SHARMA (Legal Advisor )     18 February 2016

1. Yes, if you continue as not resume your duty at Mumbai then your unauthorised absence can become a ground for initiating disciplinary action and termination of service can be resorted to by the bank.

2. You first have to resume your duty at Mumbai and then pursue your request for inter circle transfer. That can help you to remain in service. The difficulties are there and if you can manage then do so or else you should think of voluntray retrirement from service if your lenght of service is pensionable in case you cannot resume your duty at Mumbai.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     21 December 2021

stand of bank appears correct.

Aryan Raj   21 December 2021

In response to your query,

Yes the State Bank of India has the policy to allow their female employees to go on a Sabbatical leave for 1or 2 years as the conditions may satisfy. 

The sabbatical leave allows women candidates to take time off work for a variety of reasons, including the education of their children and the care of their elderly parents and in-laws.

And bank also allows inter state transfers on the request of the employees but it is not possible for an employee to ask for an inter state transfer while on sabbatical leave, an employee has to serve in their current branch for sometime after the sabbatical leave is ended and during that time he/she can apply for an inter state transfer.

Therefore I would suggest you to report to the branch and then initiate the process of the transfer or they will not be wrong to take a disciplinary action against you for not rejoining the office even after completion of the sabbatical leave.

Regards,

Aryan Raj 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     31 December 2021

Such trasfer is only a concession not a right.  Bank is not bound to post you to the places where your husband is posted (or joined new organisation).

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register