LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bhavin (N/A)     03 January 2016

Extend the rent agreement when abroad

I have given my flat on rent in Thane and my tenant wants to extend the agreement for 2.5 months more after the expiry of rental period. I am in USA as of now and power of attorney is given to my father. But my father is also in USA as of now. In this case, how the agreement can be extended? 

My tenant advised me that we can notarized the rent agreement to minimize the registration expenses. Is it safe to rent flat without registration (only notarized) for 2.5 months? 

My agent suggested he can send agreement printed on stamp paper of Rs. 500/- and send them to USA via courier. Then my dad can put a signature on it and send them back. Then agent will notazied the agreement and take signature of tenant on that. Is it legally okay if one party is not available while notarizing documents?

Learning

10 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     03 January 2016

Sir,

Yes its fine, but registered is the best and most authentic way to prove things in the court of law.

Warm Regards

Kapil Chandna Advocate

1 Like

Bhavin (N/A)     03 January 2016

Thanks Mr. Kapil for your quick response!

Aman Mishra (Advocate)     06 January 2016

Bhavin I agree with the advice given by Advocate Kapil. if you trust your tenant then you can proceed with a noterized agreement. 

Regards

Aman Mishra

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     11 January 2016

This may cause problem because your father is also there in USA at the time of signing this extension of rent agreement, especially if this has to be notarised in India while your father signs it in US.

In my opinion, do not run a risk, you may even allow the tenant to remain on an oral tenancy with his assurance to vacate after 2.5 months, or else you can issue notice to vacate the oral tenancy which is valid n law. 

1 Like

K. GOPALAKRISHNAN (ADVOCATE)     12 January 2016

Dear Queriest,

As far as I am concerned, since your father is along with you in USA, you better execute a POA, one who is in Mumbai, India exclusively to sign and execute the registration of the rental agreement and got it registered.  POA can be taken printed out in the plain paper and the same may be adjudicated here in India.  I think this would solve your problem.

1 Like

Dear Queriest,

As far as I am concerned, since your father is along with you in USA, you better execute a POA, one who is in Thane, India exclusively to sign and execute the registration of the rental agreement and got it registered.  POA can be taken printed out in the plain paper and the same may be adjudicated here in India.  I think this would solve your problem.

Dear Queriest,

As far as I am concerned, since your father is along with you in USA, you better execute a POA, one who is in Mumbai, India exclusively to sign and execute the registration of the rental agreement and got it registered.  POA can be taken printed out in the plain paper and the same may be adjudicated here in India.  I think this would solve your problem.

Bhavin (N/A)     12 January 2016

Thanks for your response Mr. T. Kalaiselvan. I think, I will go ahead with your suggestion to allow them to stay on verbal commitment. As such, I don't see any issue would come up from tenant during this extended period. But in worst case, I will (I guess) still have upper hand legally.  

Bhavin (N/A)     12 January 2016

Thanks for your reply Mr. K. Gopalakrishnan.

Executing POA and get it registered looks bit costly route just for 2.5 months. Also, my dad would be in Mumbai after a month so, technically its a question of one month. I would be agreed with your suggestion if this would have been an agreement of 11 months. 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     13 January 2016

Mr. Bhavin, You are welcome for the appreciations. You have been given various options by various advocates here, you may choose whichever suits you best. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register