LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

MAQ   18 November 2015

17.5% of VAT

This happened on 11 June, 2015. I went to a Pizza Hut restro in Jaipur and ordered a pizza meal for myself and a friend. The price of the meal was INR 399, wherein I replaced the drinks with something of my choice that added an amount of 15 extra bucks. The fooding experience was brilliant.  When the bill arrived, i was shocked at first. It was INR 551.I saw the bill and the breakup was like this: Unbilled amount - Rs. 414Vat @ 15% - Rs. 72.4Service Tax @ 5.6% - Rs. 23.2Service Charges @ 10% - Rs. 41.4 I noticed that there is an extra tax in the name of service charge. I asked the people on counter about the same, and got a fairly reasonable answer that the extra taxes are levied because its a restro, not a counter. I left the place still in kind of confusion, as paying 550 bucks for a meal of around 400 INR was odd. I crushed the bill and threw it away. Got to my home, and just for the sake of getting some mental peace; I calculated the taxes individually.  The VAT at 15% comes out to be 62.1. I called the restro again. Getting no proper response, i rode all the way back to their place. Tried to get a duplicate bill copy, but was denied.  The VAT was calculated at 17.5%, although it showed 15% on the bill. They didn't get the maths that I tried to explain.  Although it was just a matter of 10 rupees, but imagine the difference that a month's sale would have made. The lamest excuse came then, when the manager said that an error might have occured. So when I asked for a duplicate bill AGAIN , for my future reference; he refused saying its not in the policy. As a common man, what can i do to fight against such management ?

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register