LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Life time tax for out of state vehicles in ts

Page no : 2

Sai   19 November 2015


I have read the conversation between both of you and am in a similar situation where the RTA official is asking me to pay LTT for a 9 year old vehicle which is turning out to be approx. Rs. 1,34,000+ which is more than the initial road tax of Rs. 1,01000+

My initial understanding was I would need to pay for the rest of the 6 years which and not for the complete 15yrs term which am assuming it is for the amount being charged.

Now, how do I proceed forward? My car is currently Maharastra registered and now am in Telangana state.




subhaschandra (Retired Treasury officer)     19 November 2015

O sir

Find the copy of judgement attached

If You Move to high court for relief please intimate me

my E

Attached File : 254762 20151119195729 733130371 high court of judicature at hyderabad.docx downloaded: 244 times

Sai   20 November 2015

Sir, I did read the judgement and it is pertaining to a particular case. It is not generalising for all such cases of out station vehicles unless my understanding/interpretation is wrong. Please confirm. Thanks. Sai

MADHU   05 February 2016


 In this order, court has clearly said that there is no provision in the motor vehicle act that says life time tax should be collected from other state vehicles. In fact they cancelled the GO made for to collect life time tax by telangana govt. When this order is there how come RTO asked you to pay RT? Did you show this copy to the concerned official?




subhaschandra (Retired Treasury officer)     06 September 2017

similiarly karnataka High court also quashed motor vehicle amendment rules in 2015 and a appeal is pending in supreme court

Meanwhile people (around 190) out side the karnataka who have paid life time tax before quashing of amendment has applied for refund before concerned R T O's pending these application Karnataka govt approached supreme cort seeking permission  to not to entertain these application seeking refund recently

Hoble supreme court  yesterday rejected the govt application and ordered the refund of lifetime tax  so collected subject to result of govt appeal in the supreme court ( with an undertaking from applicants for repayment of tax in case govt appeal succeed..

Now in view of this situation iam unable to find next course of action i need to take in respect of my refund before telanagana Govt

Because i dont know whether any appeal is pending in supreme court in respect of Andhra pradesh H C judgement too

Registerexperts (company registeration)     10 November 2017

You may take the advise of local advocate and proceed with the legal action if there are chances to get refund. 


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query