LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     05 December 2009

Is Blood a drug?

This is repetition of my query in the forum earlier, but no satisfactory answer was found. So, I am posting it again.Can human blood be ragarded as drug?

Learning

13 Replies

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     05 December 2009

Can human blood be ragarded as drug??  I don't think so..

My Dear Archana, thank you very much indeed for your responds. but can yu give me the reasons?

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     05 December 2009

Dear Assumi sir, as per THE DRUGS AND COSMETICS ACT

[(b) “drug” includes— 

(i) all medicines for internal or external use of human beings or 

animals and all substances intended to be used for or in the diagnosis, 

treatment, mitigation or prevention of any disease or disorder in human 

beings or animals, including preparations applied on human body for the 

purpose of repelling insects like mosquitoes; 

(ii) such substances (other than food) intended to affect the structure 

or any function of human body or intended to be used for the destruction 

of (vermin) or insects which cause disease in human beings or animals, as 

may be specified from time to time by the Central Government by 

notification in the Official Gazette;] 

[(iii) all substances intended for use as components of a drug 

including empty gelatin capsules; and 

(iv) such devices intended for internal or external use in the 

diagnosis, treatment, mitigation or prevention of disease or disorder in 

human beings or animals, as may be specified from time to time by the 

Central Government by notification in the Official Gazette, after 

consultation with the Board ;

What is your opinion to Clause (IV)?

(Guest)

Assumi ji,

Human Blood is not a drug. Blood consists of red cells, white cells, plasma etc.

A drug is a medicine to fight against a disease or control human metabiolism.

Beyond Consultants (CA/CS/LLB(DU))     06 December 2009

Answer is No

Definition of term 'drug' is open ended in words as it started with 'drug includes......' but what is drug is not defined any where.In such a case you need to follow principles of harmonious interpretation and need to interpret term drug ejusdem generic with the expressions used in the definition. 

As items provided in the definition are allien items for human body and maily man made so chances are quit dim that if blood can be classified under this definition. Like Clause II clearly exclude food items.

Further assume if some one is donating his body part - can we assume same as drug.

However if you look at the wording of clause ii (in bold) and read the highlighted part then case can be argued before the court but it will certainly go atleast upto HC bench.

Also see if you can get some case in Excise and Customs. You can also refer HSN classifiction for resolving this issue as same is Govt appoved list of goods.

such substances (other than food) intended to affect the structure or any function of human body or intended to be used for the destruction of (vermin) or insects which cause disease in human beings or animals, as may be specified from time to time by the Central Government by notification in the Official Gazette;] 

(Guest)

As per Drugs and Cosmetics Act 1940 Drug is defined as

The definition of 'drugs' is an inclusive one. It includes all medicines for external or internal use of human beings or animals or any substances itended to be used for or in the diagnosis, treatment, mitigation or prevention of diseases in human beings or animals; Langamurti v.State of Orissa, (1973) I CWR 368.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     06 December 2009

Sathya, but dont you think that blood is also used for treatment like other medicines? And also the fact that DCA of 1940 is inclusive and not exclusive?

(Guest)

Assumi ji,

I agree, Blood can be used for medical treatment but defining blood as a drug needs interpretation depending upon case circumstances.  

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     06 December 2009

Blood transfusion is resorted to whenever the patient is in need .Though it is not designated as medicine,i it saves the patient from eventuality by subserving  with medicinal effects.

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     07 December 2009

Blood is not a drug.  A drug is a substance used as a medicine (for correction process).  But blood is used for supporting the life, it is not used for any correction as medicine is used.

Clause IV in Archana mam's info talks about 'devices' - blood cannot be classified as a device either. (something instrumental / mechanical)   

1 Like

lalhmingliana (Advocate)     14 January 2010

Blood(whole human blood) is a drugs within the meaning of  the said term as defined in sec3(b) of drugs and cosmetics act 1940  Please see Dr Subodh S Shah and others, Petitioners Vrs. Director, Food and Drugs and another, Respondents, Special civil application No 5700 of 1983 decided on 26th Dec 1996, Gujarat high court, SD shah JJ 1997 Drugs Cases 9

Kammuluri Dass (Assistant Director & Dist. Sales Drug Licensing Authority)     03 September 2014

Blood is a Drug. Supreme court of India  interpreted it Long back  .Supreme Court of IndiaCommon Cause vs Union Of India And Others on 4 January, 1996 Bench: S.C. Agrawal, G.B. Pattanaik CASE NO.: Writ Petition (civil) 91 of 1992PETITIONER:Common Cause RESPONDENT:Union of India and Others DATE OF JUDGMENT: 04/01/1996 BENCH:S.C. Agrawal & G.B. Pattanaik

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register