LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

jeyakumar (others)     01 September 2014

How to protect a concept

my friend has a concept relating to Press & Advertising Media. he wishes to approach the leading newspapers and at the same time he fears that his concept might be imitated after approaching them. how to legally protect his concept?

Learning

7 Replies

Hardeep (Business)     02 September 2014

Concept/ideas can 't be protected via copyrights, their specific expressions may be.

So, flesh up your story in sufficient detail , get a copyright on it and then present it to prospective buyers. This is always a grey area since the prospect could, after seeing your story, claim that he had anyways thought of it already. But you will have to take your chances- where it is better to deal with reputed media houses, maybe via agents.

For some interesting thoughts on this see :

https://zernerlaw.wordpress.com/2012/05/10/how-do-i-protect-my-idea-for-a-reality-television-show/

Advocate/CS Sanjeev Kataria ( Advocate)     02 September 2014

Agreed with Hardeep, he should go for registration of copy right of his ideas

Chetan Joshi (Advisory/Advocacy)     03 September 2014

An idea cannot be protected unless it is expressed.

Regards

Chetan Joshi

1 Like

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     06 September 2014

Agreed with experts above on the subject.    Just ideas cannot get protected under copy rights act.  For further clarifications you may browse the link provided by Mr. Hardeep.

Rahul Kapoor (Legal Enthusiast)     10 September 2014

hello, 

there is no copyright in idea or concept you need to produce it in any form then get it protected under IPL.

anand (legal advisor)     11 September 2014

idea cant be protected but its expression in the form of book can be protected under copy right.

Satyadarshi Kunal (advocate)     16 September 2014

Dear Jeyakumar,

As stated already by many in this chain, concept/idea is not protected in India. However, In some countries, like U.S. a protection to such Ideas are given by means of business method patent.

The best possible solution for your situation would be to get the confidentiality/non-disclosure agreement signed before initiating any such conversation with any media house you meet.

You may comment back in this chain or can write me on my email satyadarshi@outlook.com for any further clarification

Regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register