LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ravi (Manager)     15 June 2014

Recent Judgement on DV case cannot be filed after one year separation

What is the time limit definition for the DV case to be filed after a particular separation period.

Ld. Justice Roshan Dalvi has passed a recent judgement where it is mentioned that a DV case is not maintainable after one year of separation.
------------------

IN THE HIGH COURT OF JUDICATURE AT BOMBAY
CRIMINAL APPELLATE JURISDICTION
CRIMINAL APPLICATION NO. 160 OF 2011
Sejal Dharmesh Ved .. Applicant
Vs.
The State of Maharashtra & Ors. .. Respondents
Mr. Amit S. Dhutia i/b Niranjan Mundargi for the Applicant.
Mrs. A. A. Mane, APP for Respondent No.1­State.
CORAM : MRS. ROSHAN DALVI, J.
DATE : 7th MARCH, 2013.
P.C.
1. The applicant­wife has challenged the order of the Court of Sessions at Greater Bombay dated 27.10.2010 holding that her application under the Prevention of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 (D.V Act) is not maintainable because she was not in any domestic relationship.
2. The applicant married on 04.05.1999. She lived with her husband in the US. There are two issues from the marriage. She returned to India on 11.02.2009.
3. She filed her application under the D.V Act on 18.01.2010.
4. The learned Judge has considered that under these circumstances, she having come to India in February, 2009 and having filed this application in January, 2010, there was no domestic relationship between the parties. The learned Judge has considered the definition of domestic relationship. Of course, that relationship is defined to be one of which the party then lived and had earlier lived. That would be during the subsistence of the union between them. The application under the D. V. Act could be filed, when the marriage union subsisted. That having came to an an end and long after the physical relationship came to be an end, she having returned to India, she cannot be taken to be living in any domestic relationship in India.
5. A wife who lived in a domestic relationship earlier, but which ceases only because of any domestic violence can certainly file an application for such domestic violence that took place whilst she lived in that relationship. Such application is required to be filed within a reasonable time to show that relationship would give her the cause of action to sue under the D.V. Act for the reliefs under the Act.
6. A wife who has returned from the USA and consequently from the domestic relationship and lived in India for one year cannot file an application with regard to that relationship after such time. Such wife cannot be taken to be in any domestic relationship. The order of the learned Judge is, therefore, correct. The writ petition is completely devoid of merits and accordingly dismissed.
(ROSHAN DALVI, J.)

https://bombayhighcourt.nic.in/generatenew.php?path=./data/criminal/2013/&fname=APL16011070313.pdf&smflag=N

Can some lawyer may please advise, shall i get relief in such case as my wife has left me in year 2010 and has filed the DV case by making me, my both parents, and my brother as respondent....year 2013...Specifically she remarked that she left in year 2010, while we have abusive words altercations till august 2012.....

What relief i can sought out of it...

thanks

Learning

7 Replies

(Guest)

Good joke.

satish bhaskar (Litigant)     17 June 2014

@ ravi does the prefix ld. really mean learned! it is indeed a great joke. what are the case particulars and facts?

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     17 June 2014

The impugned judgment is related to this case alone, this may be added as citation to similar cases but under varied circumstances, this settled question of law may not be helpful.

amit (na)     26 June 2014

We got seperated in December 2006 and my wife filed a DV Act in June 2009.Is this DV Act case maintainable?

Rocky Smith (Instructor @ Calcutta (rockysmith4calcutta@gmail.com))     26 June 2014

Very good citation. Thanks for posting. Please use this in your case. I think this DV is not maintainable.

Also file petition u/s 91 CrPC and ask her to submit affidavit in support of her allegation as per Indian Evidence Act 1872.

Please follow the likes bellow. It might helpful for you.

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Fight-against-misuse-of-498a-ipc--103100.asp#.U6gslUCm9dg

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Best-way-to-fight-against-false-498a-103111.asp#.U6gsRkCm9dg

Rocky Smith (Instructor @ Calcutta (rockysmith4calcutta@gmail.com))     26 June 2014

https://mensrightactivist.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/a1-one-year-seperation1.pdf

Vidya (ss)     27 June 2014

good post..

is there any time period for already filed cases 498a, 420, 358 ...dv 2 dv 3?

one of my friend in situation where couple married in June 2011, gone Abroad in Dec 201,

because of conflicts ...he back to India in Nov 2012, she stayed there... he waited for her... she came in March 2013 and filed complaint with 1000 sections... all his parents got arrested and released on bail.

when she came and filed these cases .. he decided that no more wasting of his carrier because of an ignorant lady... left Abroad on job ( you call as Absconding ).. till now there is no movement in case.

is there any time period to reject or close these kind of cases?

he is planing to come back and fight to win.

but we are stopping ...coz no need to go through hell police custody.

he is happy with his job and life...except he is still single.

any advice please

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register