Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prodyut Banerjee (Advocate (Corporate Lawyer))     27 October 2009

Should I start my own practice?

Dear professional colleagues,

I am a commerce graduate, law graduate and a Company Secretary. I am also having the NCFM and AMFI certification. I have about 7 years work experience in different companies (all listed) both in India and Abroad. I have worked equally in both field – Corporate Secretarial and hard core legal (except Court Work). Presently I am working at Dubai. Since beginning I had a dream of starting my own practice but somehow could not. Now I am thinking to resign from the lucrative job and start practice in Kolkata, my home city. My questions are

1.      Would it be a prudent decision (keeping in view long term prospective)?

2.      Should I start practicing as a Corporate Lawyer or as a Practicing Company Secretary?

3.      Should I start of my own or try to get into a Law firm/ CS firm as an associate or partner?

4.      Should I confine myself to Corporate Law (Co. Act, SEBI and Stock Exchange, FEMA etc) and commercial contracts or try to enter into other areas such as taxation, land matters etc?

I would like to request my learned friends to enrich me with their knowledgeable opinion.

Regards,

Learning

3 Replies

PJANARDHANA REDDY (ADVOCATE & DIRECTOR)     27 October 2009

STARTING ON UR OWN IN LONG TERM GOOD,FIRST COME TO INDIA, LET US PLAN

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     28 October 2009

Frankly speaking, I shall suggest you to defer your decision to enter in the field of practice at least for next 10 years. Earn more money therefrom wherein you are presently serving and later on when you acquire both knowledge and money then enter in this field otherwise there is a long struggle in the practice field and I fear you may rethink over your decision in such circumstances. The answer to your quarry is not difficult but think over my suggestion, if you can.

Prodyut Banerjee (Advocate (Corporate Lawyer))     08 November 2009

Thank you very much for your views and sorry for replying late.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register