Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

HANUMANT DESHMUKH (Activist)     18 June 2010

Why is LLB a 3 yrs degree after Bachelors?

Does anyone know what is the purpose behind having a 3 yr law degree after a Bachelors degree?

I do not understand the logic of having a 3 yr LLB after Bachelors or a 5 yr BA-LLB after 12th. Can any one explain the reasoning? Why can't (or why shouldn't) a law degree be like any other 3 yrs Bachelors like BSc or BA? Why do you need to be a graduate before studying Law? Is there any specific reason that makes it important to study something else (like BA BCom etc) first and then study Law?

If it is really important and justified to study somthing else before studying law, then what is the sense of having 5 yr BA-LLB?

I am just looking for a genuine explanation or reasoning behind this set up.

Learning

7 Replies

malaisamy (M.A.,B.L.,)     18 June 2010

Legal profession is a noble profession and lawyers are social engineers.

A +2 student  does not have knowledge about the relationship between an individual and the society and does not know how an individual depends upon the society and society depends upon the individual.

Probably, in five years law course a law student will study arts and social science and language in first three years with one or two law papers. Then next two years he studies law only.

This is the logic behing the legal education.  

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     18 June 2010

Third year gives the practicle knowledge  by way attending the court to have the knowledge of the court proceedings, attending the advocates office and observing the advocates in their office regarding the advocates approch towards their clients to solve the clinets problems.

These all gives some courage to the students at the time practice.

aditya vadali (LAWYER)     18 June 2010

IN FACT, LAW IS OF 5 YEARS AFTER COMPLETION OF A+2, BY PASSING AN ENTRACE SIMILAR AS M.B.B.S OR B.E.  AS SAID LAW IS A PROFESSION DEALING WITH SOCIAL ENGINEERING AND LEGAL THERAPHY.

THIS 5 YDC COSISTS OF 2 YRS B.A (DEALING WITH SOCIAL ENVIRONMENT & POLITICAL SCIENCE) AND REST THREE YRS CONSISTS OF LEGAL ASPECTS. SO, THESE IS THE GENERAL STREAM OF LAW, MAKING THE GRADUATE AWARE OF SOCIAL & CONSTITUTIONAL ASPECTS.

SIMILARLY 3 YRS DEGREE BEFORE LAW CAN MAKE A PERSON EXISTS IN HIS OWN OPTION. SUCH AS viz.,

PERSON FROM COMMERCE CAN GO FOR CORPORATE LAW & CAN JOIN / COUNSIL FOR COMPANIES.

PERSON FROM SCIENCE / TECHNOLOGIES CAN GO WITH TECHNO-LEGAL SIDE OF LAW.

PERSON FROM MEDICINE CAN GO WITH MEDICO-LEGAL FIELDS.

LAW IS NOT JUST A SINGLE PROFESSION, BUT IS IS A BOUND OF SEVERAL ASPECTS. SO THE KNOWLEDGE / GRADUATION IN ANY ASPECT, BECAME THE NECCESSITY FOR PERSUING 3 YRS LAW DEGREE.

THIS IS MY PERSONAL BELIF, IF FOUND WRONG PLEASE MAKE ME CORRECTED BY THE RESPECTED SENIORS.

1 Like

Daksh (Student)     18 June 2010

Dear All,

As per UGC's guidelines LL B is a Post Graduate Course - in so far a period of three years it is a policy matter.

Best Regards

Daksh

HANUMANT DESHMUKH (Activist)     18 June 2010

So based on the above reponses, let me summarize:

1. "Law is a noble profession."

Isn't medicine a noble profession? Isn't teaching a noble profession? No where else in the world is law treated as any special vocation anymore. I think it would be better if we accept the reality instead of living in Mungerilal's fantasy world.

2.  "A +2 student  does not have knowledge about the relationship between an individual and the society and does not know how an individual depends upon the society and society depends upon the individual."

Though this statement is without any basis, nobody is talking about making a 12th pass eligible to practice law. Even if you consider an 18 yr old not mature, I am sure a 21 yr old is mature enough. If he is not, then courses like B.Sc or BE don't teach these things anyway. So what's the point? Do you think it is the age that brings the maturity that you are talking about? If so, then even a 12th pass should be given admission to LLB after he is 21 yrs old! What is the purpose of the additional 3 yr degree?

3. "Probably, in five years law course a law student will study arts and social science and language in first three years with one or two law papers. Then next two years he studies law only."

If a 3 yrs study in any other stream is important to understand law, why should a law college focus on any other stream instead of just teaching Law? They should just have 3 yr LLB degree after graduation. In one case, they consider having a graduate degree must, but in the other they are waiving off one yr. On what basis? In fact, the B.A courses are most useless courses and degree that are being offered in India. We all know that a BA has absolutely no value. So why should top law institutes force students to study BA course instead of letting students study different subjects like Commerce or Science. This will atleast make a well diverse pool of lawyers with varied expertise.

The following questions remain:

1. A 3 yr graduate degree is required because of the education that it provides or because of the maturity that student acquires after he is 21 yrs old?

If it is the education that is important then 5 yrs BA LLB have no basis. There should be only 3 yrs LLB course after graduation. If it is the age that is important, then even 12th pass should be given admission after 21 yrs of age.

In my opinion, LLB should be 3 yr undergraduate degree. Law is just like any other subject and anybody should be allowed to study it after 12th.

The right to practice Law is a different matter. There should be either a 1 yr apprenticeship after a 3 yr LLB degree, or a 4 Yrs Law degree that includes 1 yr practical training before one can be enrolled as an advocate.

T.R. Ganesan (Advocate)     29 June 2010

Hi, Hanumnt Deshmulkh,

The choice after graduation in a particular stream one can opt for any number of

other streams.   Similarly after  + 2 there should be 3 years for LL.B.  A previous degree in the

stream  of B.A. B.Com. or 5 years after + 2 is collassal waste of time and tedious.  After LL.B. degree

one can be enrolled as an Advocate and practice with seniors directives to attain professionalism.

Those one who really wanted to be professional and prudent, should devote the time and energy in the

Courts and Office.  I concurrer with the view expressed by Mr. Hanumant, after summersing the view points

in the matter your clearly summersied the need. 

T.R. Ganesan

raj sharma (law assitant)     09 July 2011

LLB is 3yrs degree after gradution is because earlier people are very much knowledgeable after doing graduation. LLB is broad subject which need great understanding and biger thoughts which require 3 years more time.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register