Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

surya sree   14 December 2022

School fees refund

Hi,

I have paid full school fees in April 2022. Now school is denying refund of fees. My kid has attended school for one month. In July the we have changed school.  

Can we file case in consumer court for such thing. 

Regards,

Surya 

Learning

6 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     14 December 2022

Yes, law is on the side of students as long as their complaints are genuine and they are justified in their demands. So, if a student wants to leave an institute or course midway and is seeking refund of fees paid in advance for the full course, she is legally eligible to get the same. Arrange to send a legal notice to the school authorities. 

2 Like

P. Venu (Advocate)     14 December 2022

You can try. However, definite rule or principle on with refrence refund from private schools (as distinguished from college education) is yet to be laid down by most of the States.

1 Like

surya sree   14 December 2022

Thanks Rama for response

SASANKAJYOTI SHARMA (INDEPENDENT FREELANCE LAW PROFESSIONAL)     14 December 2022

You need to know the school's refund policy first; for this purpose, you need to contact a local lawyer for a pleader's notice to the school authorities. Thereafter, based on the reply of the school authorities you have to proceed further for any justice available to you under the guidance of the local lawyer.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     18 December 2022

You cna try             

Niharika Lohan   27 May 2023

Hi Surya, I’m Adv. Niharika and here is my take on your query.

The refund of the fee deposit depends upon the terms and conditions of the fees policy of the school. If they do have a clause that you signed while getting the admission in the school, then there is not really much that you can do, other than requesting the school personally or by the help of a prudent lawyer.

If there was no such clause which stops the school from refunding the fee amount and still they  are refusing to return your hard earned money then you can file an application before the Permanent Lok Adaalat of your city/dist. Schools are Public Utility Services. Under S. 22(c) of the Legal Services Authority Act, 1987, PLA have jurisdiction to try cases concerning Public Utility Services. Furthermore, I’d like to state that applications before PLA are at the pre litigation stage and hiring an advocate is also not required to file an application before the said forum. You can directly bring the law in motion without any involvement of an advocate or pleader.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register