LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

J S   13 August 2022

Is my marriage valid legally

I'm a 40 yr old Indian women married to a 44 yr old overseas resident of India(he is an American citizen) 15 months ago. Marriage is not registered but it was solemnized in the presence of both side parents and relatives. After marriage it comes to my notuce that he has a 14yr old child from ex  live in relationship and he keeps traveling abroad for 8 to 9 months. He just returned 2 months back and now planning to go abroad again.  Before marriage he will be in India only . He refuses to take me with him and when i insist he says our marriage is not valid legally since its not  registered 

Learning

7 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     13 August 2022

Even now you both go to Marriage Registrar's Office and get your marriage registered and you have to ask about the procedure for the registration of marriage at the office concerned.

1 Like

J S   13 August 2022

He is not ready to register the marriage. But our marriage was performed according to hindu rites in the presence of 50 people

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     14 August 2022

Convience your husband for registration of marriage so that you can travel / stay with him as his "wife"

P. Venu (Advocate)     14 August 2022

The marriage having been solemnised in accordance with the custom of the community, the husband cannot shirk the responsibility in getting in registered. You may approach the Family Court and seek appropriate directions to him.

J S   15 August 2022

Is it mandatory that a hindu marriage between an Indian woman and Overseas resident of India should be registered 

Sidhhi   15 August 2022

It's mandatory to register the marriage for Indian nationals. What's the say of your in-laws in the matter? It's really very scary.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     16 August 2022

Where was your marriage solemnized, in India or abroad?  You say that your husband is/was an American citizen? It appears that you both are normally living in India. In India your marriage may be valid. But in USA or in any other country, it may not be vaild. Actually you are in a difficult situation. Consult a lawyer with knowledge of marriage and family laws.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register