Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

puneet saxena (student)     26 May 2010

selection in govt jobs:merit Vs entrance exam (Art 16 ?)

Respected Sir/Madam

If govt. tries to compare the candidates(open for govt. jobs) on non-comparable ground then is it against the article 16 of indian constitution that guarantee equal opportunity in all govt. jobs?

the whole matter is as follows

UP government has started entrance process for basic teacher training(BTC) for 17800 seats from 16 may 2010(source Amar Ujala News Paper Dated-16 May 2010).candidates will be selected on the basis of merit( marks obtained in 10th,12th and in graduation).one candidates can apply for one district only.for detail please see amar ujala news paper dated 16 may 2010. last date for submitting form is 8th june.

Besides it the UP govt has taken decision to select the PGT/TGT teacher on the basis of merit.(academic score)

But i and a lot of people like me have following objections.

1.Different boards/universities candidate will apply for BTC. how can we compare different board/university students on the basis of their marks. each board or university has different syllabus,different marking pattern.this can be easily proved by seeing past results,boards guideline for evaluation and by seeing syllabus of the same class. for example- a up board student of class twelve has combined syllabus for eleventh and twelfth class and has to prepare both year syllabus for 12th board exam while CBSE student has different syllabus for 11th and 12th.

2. my second objection is students of different streams of the same board/university or different board/university and of same stream but with different subjects can not be compared. some subjects are more scoring than others.this can be easily seen by checking past record. for example students who have home science, music etc subjects will get higher marks than a economics' s student marks. some subjects have practical components and the students who have practical subjects easily get higher marks in practical component. 

3.professional courses can not be compared with academic courses.professional courses has two types of evaluation. first internal and second- university based exam evaluation. in internal marking system most of the students easily get 80 to 100% marks. so a BCA ,BBA student can not be compared with a B.A. student whose evaluation is done only on the basis of university exam.

4-the student of same board or different board/university passing in different years can not be compared.education sector is changing at very fast pace. every year something new has been added and the facilities ,teacher method , evaluation method, syllabus and the government also are changing.so we can see the result of these changes on the marks of the students.

_ In up board when i passed the high school in 1999 , the Kalyan Singh led BJP government was there.CM kalyan Singh introduced nakal adyadesh(ordinance) .if any body found copying would had to go to jail. that year highschool result was only 29%.
_ Up to1999 there was a combined syllabus for 9th and 10th and 10th student had to prepare for both year syllabus for 10th exam.the marking pattern has also changed. in earlier time in maths and science no marks were given if the answer is wrong but now step marking is done and marks is given for right steps without considering answer is wrong or right. 
_now in UP nakal mafia is on high. there are several instances of paper leaks, group copying etc.(read editorial in amar ujala dated 16    may 2010)
_besides these there are varying infrastructure in villages, small cities and big cities that affect the mark securing ability of the students in their early stage of education.but they are in no ways less intelligent for the other students who are securing more marks. 

5.there is a provision of 50% parallel reservation for women.the net effect is that there is only 25% seats are available unreserved.it is  opposed to various courts decision in which court stated that total reservation should not exceed 50% upper cap.i am not opposed to the women reservation but excess of everything is bad because it will create social imbalance in society and we all of us has to face the bad effects of it.

please place your views in detail.i want to file a PIL against UP govt. order because govt. is trying to compare the candidates on non-comparable ground that is against the article 16 of indian constitution that guarantee equal opportunity in all govt. jobs.The govt. rightly has the power to set the criteria but that should be reasonable.The elected govt. should work according to declared policy not arbitrarily.the govt should set the policy when she will conduct entrance exam or when she will make selection according to merit based on academic score.

i sent similar letter to NCTE(national council for teachers education) and ncte's reply is as follows
"This is in response to your e-mail dt. 17.05.2010 in connection with

entrance test going to be conducted by Govt. of Uttar Pradesh for
admission to BTC Course. You have serious objections about the criteria
being adopted by Govt. of UP, though this matter pertains to State
Government however, as per NCTE Regulation 2009 the admission shall be
made on merit on the basis of marks obtained in qualifying examination and
/ or any other selection process as per the policy of State Govt. / UT
Admn. In view of this stipulation, the State Govt. of UP  has adopted any
of such pattern NCTE treats it compliance of NCTE Regulation 2009.

(Dr. S.K.Chauhan)
Programme Officer
NCTE

"

i am an unemployed youth and don't have sufficient resources to file a PIL. can you help me because it's not a matter of single person .it's going to affects lacs of people.

looking forward to your comments.
puneet saxena
puneetsaxena_2009@rediffamil.com

Learning

6 Replies

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     26 May 2010

What merit?

RESERVATION.

puneet saxena (student)     29 May 2010

here merit means when selection is done on the basis of academic scores(10th, 12th, graduation marks etc) instead of entrance exam score.

puneet saxena (student)     29 May 2010

respected ankit sir

please read the whole post and please give some counter arguments if u are not satisfied with my objections raised in this post.

thanking you for showing interest in this post.

looking forward to ur reply

regards

puneet saxena

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     29 May 2010

Mr. Puneet

I suggest you not to rack your brain over merit and selection. Those days are gone. 

Talk of vote bank and caste politics.

puneet saxena (student)     30 May 2010

Respected Sir

I think you did not read my post.please give a small amount of time to read it.My question is that i have raised some points against the current selection process going on for BTC(basic teacher certificate) in UP.is there any legal weight in my objections?

thanking you for your response.

Regards

puneet saxena

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     30 May 2010

Dear Mr. Saxena

I have read and understood your posting. You know that U.P. is referred in knowledgeable circles as ULTA PRADESH. Law does not take its course there. You are talking of correct or incorrect position there. Please understand that it is a State that is governed with an iron hand by either BSP or SP or combination of BJP and one of these parties. The present government spends 5000 crores on construction of idols of BSP leaders and proposes to spend another 10000 crores to recruit policemen to guard them. Mayawati uses the term "DALIT KI BETI" and the whole State claps at her success, political and in getting richer day by day personally while the State suffers from hunger, disease, malnutrition, lack of electricity, roads,drinking water, transport, education. The Constitutional provision has been twisted to suit the convenience of leaders. Congress needs her support to survive; she needs its support to wriggle out of Supreme Court case.

Coming back to your specific question of reservation, do you know that there is almost 70% reservation in Tamil Nadu. The day is not far off when there will be 100% reservation in all the States thanks to vote bank politics. Have you not see the shameless face of political leaders when UPA was on the verge of collapse on nuclear deal last year. From CPM to AIDMK joined hands to support Mayawati to become PM just to spite the Congress.

Dear Sir, understand the real politik. It has been suffering for all of us beginning with reservation for 10 years to now perpetuity. You have not seen the worst things yet to come. Those who do not believe in SATYUG and KALYUG will not certainly have a second thought.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register