LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Guruprasad (Lead)     25 March 2022

partition

Hi All, Thanks for all your valuable suggestions. My mother in law passed away and she left one site which should get partitioned between my wife and brother in-law, but myself and my wife has been asking him to come and do the necessary partition steps but he is not ready to come. please advise is there any way without entering into court or within short time we can get our share in papers.

Learning

11 Replies

Shashi Dhara   25 March 2022

Issue legal notice thru advocate.

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     25 March 2022

Hello,

If your brother in law is not ready for mutual partition in that case you have to approach court. Send legal notice and later on file suit for partition. 

Thanks for the reply. How much average time it may take to settle

Shashi Dhara   25 March 2022

For legal notice you to see or wait  for reply from him ,if he denies u have to file partition suit ,ur mother in law ia alive or not.

P. Venu (Advocate)     25 March 2022

Who is in possession/occupation of the property?

1 Like

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     25 March 2022

It may take a minimum of 5 to a maximum of 15 years depending on the number of suits pending in your jurisdictional court.  Appeals further appeals may take another 30 years.  The presumption is your brother-in-law is in possession of the property and unless he wishes to dispose of it, there is no need for him to enter into litigation.

currently no one is in possession, what happens if we take the possession before he proceeds anything further

Palak batra   25 March 2022

Dear querist,

Until the Amendment in 2005, daughters had no right to property. They were merely members of the family and did not have a share in the property. After marriage, a daughter was viewed as a part of her husband's family. But now, a daughter has certain rights that can be exercised.

There can be a transfer of share or interest by coparcener (co-owner) without actual partition of entire ancestral land. In some parts of the land, consent of co-owners, i.e. the consent of other coparceners, is required. There are other areas where the consent of other coparceners is not needed.     A coparcener can also transfer his share to another coparcener.  The registration of transfer deed can be optional or mandatory as per the Indian Registration Act.

When you inherit a property, besides proving your claim or rights, the other important thing is to have clear ownership evidence of the property. If proper property documents are available, the process of transfer becomes easier, but if it’s an ancestral property and proper documents are not available, the job becomes tough.

Regards,

Palak

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     26 March 2022

Take possession of the property, issue notice to the effect, wait & watch his (your BIL's) behavour and proceed through a local prudent lawyer.

Guruprasad (Lead)     27 March 2022

what will happen if we start construction half of the property as we have rights for half of the property as equal share as our brother in law is not coming to make partition deed.

kindly advise short way to resolve this as we are in urgent to construct house.

Shashi Dhara   28 March 2022

Without deciding your share legally don't try to construt building and inviting danger yourself

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register