LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ksr prasad (AGM)     13 February 2022

Will in favour of a foreign citizen..

I have a son and a daughter who are married and settled abroad.  I being 65 years old, would like to write a will deed to distribute my self-earned property in the form of residential buildings,open plots, shares/MFs and cash in favour of my 2 children and my wife. Is there any legal hurdle if I write some of my property in my daughter' name whio is a citizen of Canada . Will there be legal problems when she comes back to India to take over and enjoy her share of property in full including sale? Please advise. 

Learning

4 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     13 February 2022

There are no legal impediments in executing the Will as stated.

1 Like

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     13 February 2022

Your Daughtet in her capacity of Person of Indian Origin take the property under the Will and enjoy it including sale. If and when she decided to sell, she can do so and repatriate the sale proceedd up to a maximum of USD 1.00 million.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     14 February 2022

I agree and appreciate opinion and advise of expert Mr. P Venu, you may bequeath your property in the name of any one you like, there is no restriction / legal impediment.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     14 February 2022

nothing wrong in your proposal.

On the contrary you cannot be compelled to WILL in favour of someone other than your son and daughter-in-law.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register