LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

GO DESi   05 January 2022

Sapinda relationship

I am a Hindu. Can I marry my first cousin once removed from my mother's side. She is my mother's cousin (ie daughter of my mother's uncle). Can I marry her? Please reply

Learning

5 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     06 January 2022

sapinda relations are not accept for hindu marriages

a person considered in relation to any of his or her three or sometimes six nearest lineal male ancestors or descendants.

GO DESi   07 January 2022

Sir please reply in detail...I can't understand that answer

Anaita Vas   10 January 2022

No. It is barred by law. Such marriage is illegal.

She is sapinda to you therefore you cannot marry her. Such marriage is valid for Christian. For the purpose of marriage, you can convert to Christianity and legally marry her. 

As per Section 5 (v) of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, if the Hindu bride and the Hindu groom are "sapindas" of each other, the marriage between the two cannot be solemnized by law and will be legally void.

Section 11 of the Act declared marriage between sapindas as null and void.

Akhilesh v. State of Punjab is a case that invalidated sapinda relationship. 

Regards,

Anaita Vas

1 Like

Radhika Garg   11 January 2022

Since you are connected to her through the blood relation of your mother, here comes the boundation of sapinda relationship. The marriage between the two cannot be held valid by law and will be legally void.

Sapindas relationship with reference to any person extends as far as the third generation (inclusive) in the line of mother, and she is the second generation in the line when being traced upward through your mother. The parties should not be Sapindas of each other, unless the custom or usage governing each of them permits of a marriage between the two. Considering the Hindu Marriage Act,1955 the marriage results in being void when happens between the people sapindas to each other under section11.

The judgement of the caselaw Uma Shankar Prasad Parasari v. Musammat Nageswari Koeri And Ors. is the evidence of the rule stated above. It staes that the relationships sapindas to each other can't make a valid hindu marriage. Both parties should not be sapindas to each other for legalised valid marriage under Hindu marriage act,1955.

1 Like

GO DESi   12 January 2022

If I marry under Sapinda relationship then who can void it,the family members or anyone inside or outside the family? What are the future problems should I face? Please reply sir 🙏

Read more at: https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/who-can-voide-a-sapinda-relationship-marriage-222159.asp

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register