LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     19 May 2010

A judgment to discuss

On certain occasions we have discussed S. 34 of Specific Relief Act, which says the suit of declaration is barred in case the consequential relief of possession is not claimed.

Last evening I came across a recent judgment of Punjab & Haryana High Court in RSA No. 2209 of 1981 titled as Subhash Chander v/s Mohinder Singh, as per this judgment if neither the plaintiff nor the defendant are in possession then there is no need to seek relief of possession i.e. the suit is maintainable without seeking the possession.

Now the question here is if the relief of possession is not to be pressed in such a case then why the person who is in possession of disputed property should not be made party to the case, such a suit is liable to be dismissed for non joinder of necessary parties.

Let me know your opinion....if possible find out some judgments on this issue.

Learning

4 Replies

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     20 May 2010

Dear Kiran, in this connection I have come across two very interesting case regarding declaration, one is the case for declaration when there was no dispute and the ot second is the is the case when there was no property:1.Rajnibai (Smti) Alias Mannubai Vs Kamla Devi (Smti) and Others: 1996-(001) SCALE-0193-SC: 2. Deokuer and Others Vs Sheoprasad Singh and Others :1965-(003)-SCR-065-SC.

1 Like

Rekha..... ( Practicing lawyer(B.Com LL.M in Business law ))     20 May 2010

After such a long time you two good lawyers together on one comment.....good to see u both. Let me study this point.

1 Like

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     20 May 2010

And you too, where were you all these days? yap, go through the two casess i have cited, its really interesting, you will Love it.

Deekshitulu.V.S.R (B.Sc, B.L)     22 May 2010

Mr Kiran

what is the use of getting a mere declaratory relief without seeking posession. When some third person is inpossssion of the property, he has to be added as a party so that possession can be obtained through a court.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register