Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

irfan   29 August 2021

Graduation in distance mode am I eligible for 3 years regular course?

I had taken admission in LLB regular 3 years course in MP in one of the University, after 1 year of admission, university is informing me that they will place the stamp on my LLb regular degree which will indicate that I’m not eligible for BCI exam since I am holding distance graduation degree prior to LLB.

Help me to know any such circular issued by BCI on the same as I am unable to locate it on BCI website.

Irfan Mulla

Learning

10 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     29 August 2021

Did you pass the +2 exam from a recognised board in which year? Any candidate pass degree either on the regular course or distance course are equal. Consult a local lawyer.
1 Like

irfan   29 August 2021

Yes sir, 10th in 2002 and +2 2004 from Maharashtra state board. distance graduation done in 2013.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     30 August 2021

Whether the college/ institution / University where you are studying is recognised for pursuing LL.B. Course ?

irfan   30 August 2021

yes sir it is recognised ugc and approved by BCI (its Swami Vivekananda University Sagar MP)

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     30 August 2021

File RTI Application to BCI online, pay Rs.10/- and seek such authentic information from them.

irfan   30 August 2021

Sir,
I am unable locate online RTI application for BCI.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     30 August 2021

Please send a signed hard copy with a postal order for Rs.10/- fvg. Accounts Officer, BCI payable at New Delhi.
1 Like

P. Venu (Advocate)     31 August 2021

RTI information could be sought from BCI through rtionline.gov.in. Bar Council of India is a public authority listed under Department of Legal Affairs. As regards to educational qualification to 3 year LLB course, Rule 5 of the Legal Education Rules, 2008 provides as follows. "5. Eligibility for admission: (a) Three Year Law Degree Course: An applicant who has graduated in any discipline of knowledge from a University established by an Act of Parliament or by a State legislature or an equivalent national institution recognized as a Deemed to be University or foreign University recognized as equivalent to the status of an Indian University by an authority competent to declare equivalence, may apply for a three years’ degree program in law leading to conferment of LL.B. degree on successful completion of the regular program conducted by a University whose degree in law is recognized by the Bar Council of India for the purpose of enrolment. (b) Integrated Degree Program: .................................................................... Provided that applicants who have obtained + 2 Higher Secondary Pass Certificate or First Degree Certificate after prosecuting studies in distance or correspondence method shall also be considered as eligible for admission in the Integrated Five Years course or three years’ LL.B. course, as the case may be. Explanation: The applicants who have obtained 10 + 2 or graduation / post graduation through open Universities system directly without having any basic qualification for prosecuting such studies are not eligible for admission in the law courses." In terms of the provision as above those who have graduated through the distance moe are eligible for joining LLB course and further enrollment with the Bar Council. It is only that the basic qualification for prosecuting the degree course i.e. 10+2 should have been completed through a regular course. As you have completed 10+2 through a regular course, there is nothing irregular in your admission to the LLB Course. The University is wrong in their stand. The Rules stated above could be accessed at https://www.barcouncilofindia.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/BCIRulesPartIV.pdf
2 Like

irfan   31 August 2021

Dear Venu Sir,
thank you so much for your great help and detailed information. This really very helpful for me, I will take it up with BCI for RTI and University too.

Prasad Ganapathi   25 November 2022

Dear Sir, I also come across same situation. I did my regular education till 9th standrad. when my father passed away I had to drop out from 9th Standrad. Later I did my 10th through distance education, later I didnot go to 11th , but completed 12th through distance. subsequent that I enrolled regular graduation and succefully completed the same. 

when I applied for LLB college denied admission citing BCI education rules I tried to convey them, BCI rules makes me eligible for LLB course., but they denied admission. later I applied for eligibility certificate from Karnataka Law university. However, admission due date was lapsed i could not get admission. This academic year Karanataka law university rejected my application to obtain eligibility certificate stating there is no gap between my 10th and 12th. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register