LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Balakrishna Devarakonda   17 July 2021

Family Law

I have 2 year kid.... I want to take divorce from my wife who is carrying her 2nd child.... if we want to take divorce with mutual consent.... what about our children....?? plz clarify sir/madam

Learning

3 Replies

advsuma bk   17 July 2021

hi sir, it is your and your wife's decision, based on ur both decisions you can mention the conditions of children in petition

srishti jain   19 July 2021

In India, the Guardian and Wards Act 1890 has provisions related to child custody after divorce. The legal provisions that exist in the Indian Constitution based on religion are:

• Custody under Hindu Law – which has provisions under the Hindu Marriage Act 1955 (section 26), the Special Marriage Act 1954 (section 38), and the Hindu Minority and Guardianship Act 1956.
  • Custody under Muslim Law – which allows only the mother to seek custody of her child(ren) under the Right of Hizanat.
  • Custody under Christian Law – which allows for child custody under the Divorce Act 1869 (section 41) only after separation decree is granted.
  • Custody under Parsi Law – which allows for child custody under the Guardian and Wards Act 1890 and gives high importance to the welfare of the child.

In mutually consent divorce, spouses should decide amongst themselves who is going to have the physical custody of the children, duration of visitation rights, and interim custody. Both parents are equally competent to take custody of the children. It is the understanding and agreement between parties, which prevails subject to the welfare of the minor children. Parties can have an understanding of joint custody or shared parenting in the mutual consent divorce process.

In the above case, you and your wife should decide amongst yourselves who is going to have the physical custody of the children, duration of visitation rights, and interim custody. Both of you are equally competent to take custody of the children.

Hope it helps, 

Regards, 

Srishti

1 Like

Balakrishna Devarakonda   22 July 2021

thank u do much fr ur detailed reply...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register