Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajesh (Enigineer)     14 May 2010

Troublesome tenant

Troublesome Tenant

Hello my name is Rajesh, native of Vidarbha presently working in Pune.

I have 4 room house at my native place, given it on rent to family from August 2009.

Out of four rooms one is in my possession and is locked...  furniture some other stuff.

My tenant has not paid rent of last 6 months and it's been couple of months now I have asked to vacate the house.

Every time when I call him most of the time he will not pick up the phone, if at all he picks up the phone he tells me that he will pay the money and will vacate the house.

But he never keeps his word. Many times his wife picks up the phone and tells me that he is out of station.

While renting the property he told us that he is a govt employee (Gramin Rojgar Hami Yojana) but now he says he doesn't get salary every moth as he works on contract basis.

In last 6 months at least dozen times he told me that "tomorrow he is going to deposit the money" but that never happened so far.

As far as legal documents are concerned I had made lease agreement on 100 Rs stamp paper but it's not registered agreement.

Secondly last year my father passed away in July (2009) so we made the agreement showing my elder brother as the owner of the property.

I don't know what to do....

Request you to provide me some suggestion to get rid of my tenant problem.

I'm thinking of disconnecting the power.

But I don't know if it will work.

I don't know if he has any influential or criminal links.

Waiting for your reply.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rajesh

Learning

4 Replies

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     14 May 2010

dear Rajesh, is there any written agreement with him?

if not then simply throw him out, u ll find a lot of hand available for this purpose in ur city.

if u cant do this then file eviction petition in court, approach some local lawyer he will tell u the law applicable for ur purpose.

1 Like

Thank you very much or your reply.

(Unfortunately) I had given him the copy of agreement...

As he is not paying the rent what if I submit the application to electricity board to disconnect the electric power.

Darshan Panchal (Advocate)     14 May 2010

u can not cut off electricity supply urself or even by making an application to the electricity authority since it invites civil liability under section 24 of Bombay Rent Act. ur tenant can approach the court in the circumstances and court can give u direction to restore the supply. if u don't comply with the order u can be imprisioned for 3 months! Filing an eviction suit is a time consuming process. Best way is to contact hard headed person. I don't think he will take u on jeopardizing his and family's safety.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register