Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nirali Nayak   15 June 2021

Online harrasment

Dear team,

On Facebook, one person invited me into a group chat where people were posting s*xually explicit videos. The photos included my Facebook profile photo. It caused me distress and I was worried. So I left the group and blocked that user as well. Then after a few days, possibly the same person sent more of such messages to me from another fake account in the messenger app. What I can do? Are there any legal steps that I can take? Please help.

Thank You

Learning

6 Replies

Sankaranarayanan (Advocate)     15 June 2021

Complaint to cyber crime police cell . No

1 Like

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     15 June 2021

Yes. Complaint to in Cyber Crime Police.

1 Like

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     16 June 2021

I agree with the opinion and advise of experts.

Saura Patil   16 June 2021

Hello, 

Greetings of the Day!

I agree with what the experts have stated above regarding approaching the Cyber Crime Cell. But here are a few other remedies available under the IPC:

1. 354 D  of IPC

This section punishes any man, who follows a woman and contacts her, or attempts to contact her to foster personal interaction repeatedly despite a clear indication of disinterest by the woman, with three years of imprisonment and/or fine on first conviction and five years of imprisonment and/or fine on second conviction. 

2. Section 509 of IPC

Under this section, any person who utters any word, sound, or makes any gesture, intending it be heard or seen by a woman and insult her modesty shall be punished with 1 year imprisonment and/or fine. 

3. Section 354 A of IPC

This section guarantees three years of imprisonment and/or fine to any man who makes 'a demand or request for s*xual favours', shows 'p*rnography against the will of the woman' or makes 's*xually coloured remarks'.

Furthermore,  

The IT Act punishes transmission of obscene as well as s*xually explicit content in electronic form. 

Section 67 of the Act prohibits the publication, transmission and causing transmission of obscene content and punishes with imprisonment up to three years and fine for first conviction and imprisonment up to 5 years and fine for a second conviction. 

Hope this helps!

Regards, 

Saura Patil 

1 Like

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     17 June 2021

No doubt such unscrupulous people will pursue the issue through various options and they may surface again and again through different numbers/accounts even if you keep blocking them in all the social medias where you have an account.

Therefore to put an end to this menace, you may have to act swiftly by giving a complaint to the cyber crime police within your district. 

They will easily find the culprit and initiate proper legal action as per law for this offence.

sonam ranjan   21 August 2021

Internet and technology were launched for research purposes which had made human life easy as the user has been increased. because of this. it’s easy to commit cybercrimes. Many could misuse this aspect largely. And one of them is online harassment. 

In India, cyber laws are contained within the Information Technology Act, 2000 (“IT Act”) which came into force on October 17, 2000. the main purpose of the Act is to supply legal recognition to electronic commerce and to facilitate the filing of electronic records with the govt.

get in touch with the best lawyer in India who can give legal solutions on this matter.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register