LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Siddanagouda Patil   29 November 2020

complaint from bank

A person borrowed loan from co-op bank, afterwards that person issued a cheque to pay the loan but it was dishonoured. Whether bank can file complaint u/s 138 of n I act against the customer ?

Learning

9 Replies

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     30 November 2020

No.The client could contact the banker and amicably settle by remitting the dues before it bocomes Non petforming asset.

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     30 November 2020

Yes, bank may initiate proceedings of sec 138 of N. I. Act against borrower.

Siddanagouda Patil   30 November 2020

Thank you, is there any citation?

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     30 November 2020

That is what banks are doing since decades and it is a practice.  Almost all bankers collect blank cheques and before the account is treated an NPA build up pressures through Sec.138, and they engage a counsel exclusively to follow up in court proceedings and pay account wise fees.  In Mumbai, I have seen that a junior advocate sits in the same court every day, as there are two or three cases every day in that particular court.

P. Venu (Advocate)     30 November 2020

The Banks can initiate action under NI 138 in respect of dishonored cheque. Such cases are so commonplace that it requires no citation.

1 Like

Siddanagouda Patil   30 November 2020

Thank you one and all

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     01 December 2020

Mr. Siddanagouda Patil,

Do you need citation on the subject whether the Bank shall proceed in terms of bare act provided under section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881 ?

Of course the Banks shall proceed as provided in law, the drawer of cheque should have no doubt.

Whether the legislation passed by Parliament of India is inadequate ?

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     03 December 2020

Originally posted by : Siddanagouda Patil
A person borrowed loan from co-op bank, afterwards that person issued a cheque to pay the loan but it was dishonoured. Whether bank can file complaint u/s 138 of n I act against the customer ?

Yes bank can.

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     03 December 2020

Coop.Banks normally proceed under the provisions of the coop.societies Act. If issued with surety, may proceed agaist the surety. If it is personal loan, pay attachment could be done. Seldom go in for 138.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register