Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dev99 (others)     06 November 2020

Photo of the signature safe/unsafe (to discount brokers)

Dear Sirs,

Greetings!!

Could you please advise me if sending a photo/snapshot of the signature (wet signature & not an electronic one) to discount brokers is safe? As you may know, they ask for a photo of the signature during opening an account with them which they say is a part of the procedure.

Clearly, I need to ask if there are any risks involved?

Thank you.

Learning

5 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     06 November 2020

You have not posted the complete facts.

1 Like

Dev99 (others)     06 November 2020

Dear Sir, 

Thanks for the interest in my query. I will explain the scenario.

I am planning to open a Demat account through a discount broker named Zerodha and as per their requirements I need to submit a photo of the signature. 

I searched over the internet and found the below reference on their Question & Answer portal. 

Please refer to the link below. There is some explanation given, the same I have quoted in brown color below for easy reference.

https://tradingqna.com/t/why-should-i-submit-a-scanned-signature-proof-while-opening-an-account-at-zerodha/23117

" This is both a regulatory and operational requirements.

Similar to a bank cheque leaf, Demat accounts have DIS booklet (delivery instructions) to move stock from one Demat to another. These need to be signed. So we require a copy of your signature to cross-reference this to. In online esigned documents, unless you upload a signature, it is not possible for us to know what exactly is yours. " 

Further, the compliance is stated as 

" As per CDSL - Point 2.4.17 of Annexure D (CDSL Communique - CDSL/OPS/DP/POLCY/3277 dated October 16, 2012):

The DP shall scan the signature(s) of the BO(s), authorised signatory(ies) and Power of Attorney holder(s), if any, at the time of account opening or immediately thereafter.

As per NSDL - (Circular No.: NSDL/POLICY/2007/0054 Date : September 22, 2007)

Client’s Signature would continue to remain as a single image i.e., the signature of all account holders would be scanned as a single image. However, POA holder’s (Authorized signatories in case of POA holder being a corporate or individual entity in whose favour POA is given) signature will be scanned separately and will not be a part of client’s signature. "

I want to be sure if it is safe to do so.

Kindly help!! Thank you.

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     06 November 2020

Photo of a signature is not legally valid anywhere, veriified e-signature is different from a photo. A person should be very careful while submitting a verified e-signature he should first check the antecedents of the person/party to whom he submits a verfied       e-signature.

1 Like

Adv Vinay Mathur + 8447131770 (Advocate)     07 November 2020

Photo signature is valid for various job exam forms while applying the same online, and sure for opening account of dmat he may be taking photo signature so it's ok there isn't any problem in it if sent directly to company mail id.
1 Like

Dev99 (others)     09 November 2020

Mr. Mehta & Mr. Mathur, 

Thank you for the short & detailed explanation.

I am relieved to hear that.

Thanks again for your time & efforts.

Best wishes!!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register