LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Godfrey Braganza   27 October 2020

Goa property inheritance

This regards Goa Inheritance matters. My three siblings and I have been advised that we stand to inherit a portion of some of our maternal grandparents properties situated in Goa. Our deceased mother's share was approximately 16.8% after deducting expenses etc. Our total share will be approximately half of her share or 8.4% . I am thinking that since our mother is deceased her full share should be inherited by her children. Is this in line with the law of succession applicable in Goa? Thanks

Learning

5 Replies

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     27 October 2020

1. Property standing in name of Mother shall be claimable by:
Husband & "ALL" children in EQUAL proportions, without any exceptions.  IF her husband is deceased, THEN only her children.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
VISIT: www.chshelpforum.com

1 Like

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     27 October 2020

I agree with the advice of the learned expert Mr. Hemanth Agrwal Sir.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     28 October 2020

Originally posted by : Godfrey Braganza
This regards Goa Inheritance matters. My three siblings and I have been advised that we stand to inherit a portion of some of our maternal grandparents properties situated in Goa. Our deceased mother's share was approximately 16.8% after deducting expenses etc. Our total share will be approximately half of her share or 8.4% . I am thinking that since our mother is deceased her full share should be inherited by her children. Is this in line with the law of succession applicable in Goa? Thanks

Inheritance and succession is different in all major religions, especially in Goa.

Contact, consult and engage a local prudent lawyer for proper appreciation of facts/ documents and professional advise.

P. Venu (Advocate)     28 October 2020

Who gets the other 8.4%?

Godfrey Braganza   28 October 2020

Thanks for all the responses. In summary and hopefully to clarify further, the matter will be pursued with the help of a lawyer. However the share schedule sent to us by the representative handling the matter indicates that only 50% mother's share (16.8% x 0.5 = 8.4%)  - both our parents are deceased - will be shared by all her children. This is the bone of contention and before we give our consent to the proceedings going ahead I needed to know whether we were being short-changed and it appears we were. We will therefore ask for the full 16.8% to be apportioned to all of us.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register