LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pattu Kutty (none)     19 April 2010

TIME LIMIT

What is the notification time period in a cheque bounce case? My tenant issued an "ACCOUNT CLOSED" cheque to us with the intention of fooling us the amount he was due towards rent. Now the cheque got returned with the above stated reason. This happened on 3rd of this month, so what is the time limit i have to issue a notice to him to make good the payment???????? Pls reply as soon as possible

P.S : There is a difference of opinion between lawyers in the notification period. Is it 15days notice and 30 days waiting time fo payment or 30 days notice and 15days payment time?

Learning

6 Replies

Bobby Mani T (Lawyer)     19 April 2010

you have to send a notice within 15 days of bouncing of cheque and should give 30 days time.  altogether he gets 45 days for paying the amount.

Bobby Mani T (Lawyer)     19 April 2010

In the mean time you can file a Rent Control Petition also for defaul in payment of rent

V.G.Rao Advocate (Advocate)     19 April 2010

Hi Bhuvana, Please go through the amended Negotiable Instruments act, you will find out urself.

avinash arake (student)     20 April 2010

RESPECTED SIR / MADAM

I WROTE EVERY TIME TODEPT.BUT DEPT.DOES TAKE ATTENTION

IN THE YEAR 2006 TO2007 WHEN MY NUMBER WAS FIRST IN THE LIST  OF

COMPASSIONATE GROUND CASE,AND VERY FEW MONTH WAS REMAIN  TO

COMPLIT  YOUR THREE YEARS RULE ,WE GO TO NAGPUR AND REQEST TO

CHIEF COMMISSIONER  ,BUT THEY SAYS THAT  WE NOT SUBMIT 

RECUITMENT YET  TO SCREENIG COMITY ,AT THAT TIME WE ALSO TOLD

AS WEL AS  OUR AURANGABAD COMMISSIONER ALSO WROT THAT IN

AURANGABAD THERE REQUIRMENT OF MANY PEOPLE  .PLEASE GIVE THE

PERMISSION TO FILL AT LEAST TWO VACANCIES ,AND AVINASH RAMDAS

ARKES NUMBER IS UPPEMOST  ,WRITE TO CHIEF COMMISSIONER  BUT AT THAT

TIME CHIEF COMMISSIONER DOES NOT GIVE PEMISSION TO FILL THE

VACANCIES ,

THEY MADE TIME PASS WITH MY CASE  .I THINK THEY WAIT FOR MY NUMBER CUT FROM THE LIST  THEY DID NOT GIVE PERMMITION THEY MADE ONLY TIME PASS AT THAT TIME .

DEPT.ALSO WANT TO   GIVE THE PERMISSION  TOFILL AT LEAST TWO OR

ONE VACANCIES AT THAT THAT TIME I GOT MY JOB BUT THEY DONOT DO

,WHY THEY DO LIKE THIS WE DON’T KNOW ,BUT AFFTER MY NUMBER CUT

FROM THE LIST OF COMPASSIONATE GROUND ,AURANGABAD

COMMISSIONRATE FILL THE TWO VACANCIES .

THEY DON’T GIVE ANY INFORMATION TO THE OLD CANDIDATES AND NOT

GIVE ANY NEWS IN ANY NEWS PAPER .

WHAT CRITEREA THEY THEY FULLFILL , HOW THEY ARE ELIGIBLE FOR

THAT POST   WHICH CONDITION COMLITED, WE DON’T  KNOW

BUT DEPT. RECRUITED THEM .

PLEASE LOOK THIS MATTER SERIOUSLY GIVE ME JUSTICE

YOURS FAITHFULLY

AVINASH S/O RAMDAS SANDUJI ARAKE

AEJAZ AHMED (Legal Consultant/Lawyer)     20 April 2010

Dear Bhuvana,

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

CHAPTER XVII

NOTARIES PUBLIC OF PENALTIES IN CASE OF DISHONOUR OF CERTAIN CHEQUES FOR INSUFFICIENCY OF FUNDS IN THE ACCOUNTS

138. Dishonour of cheque for insufficiency, etc., of funds in the account.

Where any cheque drawn by a person on an account maintained by him with a banker for payment of any amount of money to another person from out of that account for the discharge, in whole or in part, of any debt or other liability, is returned by the bank unpaid. either because of the amount of money standing to the credit of that account is insufficient to honour the cheque or that it exceeds the amount arranged to be paid from that account by an agreement made with that bank, such person shall be deemed to have committed an offence and shall, without prejudice. to any other provision of this Act, be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year, or with fine which may extend to twice the amount of the cheque, or with both: Provided that nothing contained in this section shall apply unless-

(a) the cheque has been, presented to the bank within a period of six months from the date on which it is drawn or within the period of its validity, whichever is earlier;

(b) the payee or the holder in due course. of the cheque as the case may be, makes a demand for the payment of the said amount of money by giving a notice, in writing, to the drawer of the cheque, within fifteen days of the receipt of information by him from the bank regarding the return of the cheque as unpaid; and

(c) the drawer of such cheque fails to make the payment of the said amount of money to the payee or, as the case may be, to the holder in due course of the cheque, within fifteen days of the receipt of the said notice. Explanation.-For the purposes of this section, "debt or other liability" means a legally enforceable debt or other liability.

Amendments to the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881

Amendment of section 138.-In section 138 of the principal Act,—

(a) for the words “a term which may be extended to one year”, the words “a term which may be extended to two years” shall be substituted;

(b)       in the proviso, in clause (b),  for the words “within fifteen days”, the words “within thirty days” shall be substituted.

Kindly go through the attached Judgment: on Page No: 1 & 4

And for your further satisfaction kindly go through the below website with detail proceedings on "Dishonor of Cheque"

https://www.legalserviceindia.com/articles/sec138.htm

Attached File : 57 57 shroff publisher and 1 vs springer india pvt ltd on 29 august 2007.pdf downloaded: 107 times
1 Like

Dharmesh Manjeshwar (Advocate/Lawyer)     20 April 2010

As per the amendment in the N. I. Act  .... u have to issue demand notice to the drawer of the dishonoured cheque within one month from the date of it's dishonour ....

In the said notice u have to mention the details of the cheque, date of it's dishonour, amount, etc and demand the cheque amount within 15 days from the date of receipt of the said notice issued by you. Pls.send the notice by Regd. A/D and UCP. U are bound to get Regd. A/D acknowledgement if the notice is received by him.

From the date he receives the said notice .... u have to leave 15 days ... after the completion of the said 15 days if he does not pay you then offence under 138 of the N. I. Act is committed by him ( drawer of the cheque )

You are then free to file ur complaint within one month from the date offence has been committed by the drawer of the cheque.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register