Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Parental care

Hello.My mother is one out of 6 children of my grandfather (3sons and 3 daughters).My grandfather is retired and doesn't have a house of his own and needs to be taken care of.Although my uncles are well off,they refuse to take care of my grandparents and are pressurising my mother and aunts to share the burden.How legal is that considering the fact that my mother as well as my aunts have their own motherinlaw and fatherinlaw to take care of? What can be done?

Learning

3 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     13 April 2020

It is the minimum duty of the children to see the welfare of their parents.  If they ignore, the parents and Senior Citizens can complain against them under the Maintainance and Welfare of Parents & Senior Citizens Act, 2007. 

1 Like

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     14 April 2020

A most interesting problem that is causing concern in Hindu families

Previously, sons in Hindu families used to take care of their parents as religious duty irrespective of whether they have received a share in the property of their parents or not.  Such neglecting of parents was treated as a religious crime (Paap)

But when the daughters are getting an equal share in the property, the sons claim (may not be, but the daughters-in-laws' are also) is that when they have taken a share in a property, they have to look for the welfare of the parents and should share the burden.

In most of the present Hindu families, daughters demand a share in parent's property, but when sharing a burden is concerned, they find fault with sons and daughters-in-law.

So, daughters are now equally responsible for sharing the parental burden with their other siblings as per gender equality and Dharma.  Individual problems must be sorted out through mutual discussions or by sharing the burden financially..  A very sensitive and delicate issue where there can never be son on line guidance as the issue involved is about "DHARMA" and not "Nyaya"

P. Venu (Advocate)     14 April 2020

Both sons and daugters are required to take care of their parents in their old age. More than customary and moral obligation, at present, this is a legal duty enforceable in terms of the provisions of the Maintainance and Welfare of Senior Citizen's Act.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register