LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Doveson (advocate)     14 April 2010

marriage pending divorce

whether a woman who is awaiting a divorce marry again before the decree? if she does marry, what would be the legal complications considering the fact that bigamy is an offence only for males and there is perhaps no law which bars a woman from marrying a second time during the pendency of her earlier marriage. the man is unmarried and has no other relationship with any other woman, and so the adultery law wont be applied against him since he is with his legally wedded wife. kindly respond soon.

Learning

14 Replies

Bharat Bhushan (advocate)     14 April 2010

Divorce is basically is a legal sepration of man and wife, effected by the judgement or decree of a court . If wife is awaiting divorce and marry again she will be guilty of breach of marriage contract.

Pls ref recent opinion of  the Apex court wife will also accountable if she commits adultry.

In your question without gettinf divorce if wife developing a relationship with other man it will be amount to adultry by wife part.

1 Like

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     14 April 2010

Sir, you have not mentioned the religion of the woman who is going to remmry. I suppose she is a Hindu and answer this. If she marries while the divorce is still pending, then it contravenes the section 5 of HMA. and so, the second marriage becomes viod.

1 Like

Doveson (advocate)     14 April 2010

but sir, even in IPC there it is an offence u?s. 495. but doesnt the earlier marriage have to be legally valid? or whether marrying in a temple and then living together as husband and wife entail the wife liable for punishment u/s. 494?

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     15 April 2010

Sir,  for a marriage to be vaild, there has to be observance of rituals as prescribed under s.7 of HMA. But SC has many times condsidered marriage with the exchange of garlands can be a vaild marriage if there are photographs, witnesses etc. So, validity depends on circumstances of the case.

1 Like

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     15 April 2010

Suchitra can you explain what is the procedure for other religion woman?

1 Like

Anjali (IT)     15 April 2010

if she does so , she won't be eligible for any maintenance / alimony from her husband...

1 Like

Arvindan Sir, I think the postion is same for other religions too..  the second marriage will be void. When the second marriage is void, I think the husband can file a case of adultry against the other man.

1 Like

Kiran (Consultant)     15 April 2010

Suchitra,

I dont understand why the adultery case should be filed by husband. Here the adultery is committed by Woman ( wife) and she should be punishable. I think bigamy also applies to woman and she is also punishable under law if she marries again while the divorce case is still pending.

1 Like

Kiran Sir, I replied Doveson's query regarding filing a case of adultry by the husband. I do not know how exactly courts deal with bigamy acts by woman. I havnt seen any provision dealing with bigamous act of wives.

1 Like

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     16 April 2010

Suchitra is right

1 Like

Doveson (advocate)     16 April 2010

its prohibited for both U/s. 495 of IPC

1 Like

Kiran (Consultant)     16 April 2010

Hi Doveson,

So you mean 2 say that if either Husband OR Wife marries again when the first marriage divorce case is still pending, then who ever marries again, they are liable to be prosecuted under bigamy act?

1 Like

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     16 April 2010

Section 494. Marrying again during lifetime of husband or wife

Whoever, having a husband or wife living, marries in any case in which such marriage is void by reason of its taking place during the life of such husband or wife, shall be punished with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to seven years, and shall also be liable to fine.

Exception-This section does not extend to any person whose marriage with such husband or wife has been declare void by a Court of competent jurisdiction,

nor to any person who contracts a marriage during the life of a former husband or wife, if such husband or wife, at the time of the subsequent marriage, shall have been continually absent from such person for the space of seven years, and shall not have been heard of by such person as being alive within that time provided the person contracting such subsequent marriage shall, before such marriage takes place, inform the person with whom such marriage is contracted of the real state of facts so far as the same are within his or her knowledge.

Section 495. Same offence with concealment of former marriage from person with whom subsequent marriage is contracted

Whoever commits the offence defined in the last preceding section having concealed from the person with whom the subsequent marriage is contracted, the fact of the former marriage, shall be punished with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to ten years, and shall also be liable to fine.

So, Kiran ji, S.494 relates to marrying during the lifetime of spouse and S.495 relates to concealment of earlier marriage from person with subsequent marriage is contracted.
1 Like

Doveson (advocate)     18 April 2010

the factual position is that a woman cannot marry again as long as her earlier  marriage is not dissolved by a court of competent jurisdiction and the period of appeal which is 30 days has not expired. if any person violates the same, they would be dealt as per section 494 and 495. suchitra here is really wise in saying that since the second marriage so contracted is void under the law, the subsequent huspand would be liable for adultery. in that case, to save himself, he would have to plead that he was not aware of the earlier marriage  which would however further aggravete the law against the lady.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register