LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rakhshanda (dgtr)     31 March 2010

Muslim Marriage Validity

I am a female & have married a muslim boy after converting from other religion. I have nikahnama, wedding invitation card & marriage photos. Will we need some proofs to get this marriage registered with Registrar. Request your legal opinion.

Learning

12 Replies

Rakhshanda (dgtr)     31 March 2010

I mean to say some more proofs apart from ID & address & above 3

Salik Khan (Advocate Bombay High Court)     31 March 2010

You just need to make an Affidavit, the said proofs are sufficient for registration.

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     31 March 2010

• You need the following documents to register your marriage. :

• Application form completed in all respect and signed by both Husband & Wife.
  • Proof of residence (Voter I-card/Ration card).
  • Separate affidavit in prescribed format from Husband & Wife.
  • Date of birth proofs of both parties (10th Class certificate, Date of birth certificate).
  • Two passport size photograph of Husband and Two Passport Size Photograph of Wife and one photo of marriage.
  • Marriage invitation card if available.
  • Original copy of divorce decree/order in case of a divorcee and death certificate of spouse in case of widow/widower.
  • In case one of the parties belong to other than Hindu Budhist, Jain and Sikh religions, a conversion certificate from the priest who solemnized the marriage ( in case of Hindu Marriage Act).
  • In case applicant is a foreign national, a NO Objection Certificate in original from the concerned High Commission to be submitted along with the application form.
  • If marriage was solemnized in a religious place, a certificate from the priest is required who solemnized the marriage.
  • One witness of Gazetted Officer ( Gazetted Officer should bring Official Seal and Office Identity Card)
  • IMPORTANT : All documents needs to be attested by Gazetted Officer.

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     31 March 2010

You have to register your marriage under Special Marrige Act, 1954.

Aftab4u (PVT EMPLOYEE)     31 March 2010

Thanks suchitra Madam for ur valuable info.

AFTAB

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     31 March 2010

The institution of marriage has degenerated by the so-called celebrities e.g. Sania Mirza. It is no longer a private affair. It has been converted into a bazar.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     31 March 2010

Well a marriage can be valid without a wife and why not?

Can anyone have his wife's home town without getting married and can one accept congratulations on getting married without a wife? Well, yes. Shoaib Malik can do it. He scored 82 runs in a match at Hyderabad and says that it is his wife's home town and accepts congratulations from TV anchor for getting married. Now he says he is not married to Ayesha.

PC Sarkar, the great magician, can't do better than this.

jyotirmaya behera (advocate)     01 April 2010

All the terms and conditions including the warranty and the capacity to sign the agreement has to be acknowledged and they individual has full rights to abide by all the terms and conditions that are defined. The basic eligibility to register to a Muslim Marriage would be the registering person should be at least 18 years of age and they should have married previously.

The Procedure to register Muslim marriage should be kept as a personal one and thus no other person should be authorized to view your registered details and they should not be allowed to transfer your details to any other registered person. It is a registering process which do not act as a match making service rather it acts as a event through which one people can meet the other one.

No personal information such as marital status about the registered and the other background details can be verified by us. It is primary responsibility of yours to verify those details and find whether you are satisfied. Only after your satisfaction, the other things will be preceded. Under the Procedure to Register Muslim Marriage, a day time contact number has to be provided or at least the mobile number has to be provided for enquiry.

Salik Khan (Advocate Bombay High Court)     01 April 2010

I dont think Registration under Special Marriage Act is required if Nikah is already Solemnised under Muslim Personal Law, It may complicate. Normal registration should suffice

Rakhshanda (dgtr)     02 April 2010

Originally posted by :Suchitra. S
"

In case one of the parties belong to other than Hindu Budhist, Jain and Sikh religions, a conversion certificate from the priest who solemnized the marriage ( in case of Hindu Marriage Act).

Will I also need conversion certificate? if yes, please suggest alternatives as I don't have one. The conversion was done orally in front of priest & we got married after that.
"

AEJAZ AHMED (Legal Consultant/Lawyer)     04 April 2010

Dear Rakhshanda,

kindly check the below attached file for the detail answer to your query:

Attached File : 5 5 marriage registration.doc downloaded: 143 times
1 Like

Rakhshanda (dgtr)     05 April 2010

Haryana & Delhi wakf board don't issue marriage certificates for muslims. I think it's done only in Andhra Pradesh. Also, can I simply use my previous name for official functions.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register