Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Suhasdarshan (Associate)     29 March 2010

First priority on day of election, vote or work?

I am working for an MNC in Bangalore.

On 28th March 2010 (Sunday), there were BBMP election (municipal election) held.

Saturday and Sunday is off here in my company, but however we are supposed to work in the busy season even on weekends.

I was told to work on Saturday & Sunday, this week by my project manager.

Saturday I worked, but Sunday purposepully I didn't want to work because of elections.

I also had informed the concerned person regarding the same.

But on Monday when I reached office, my project manager & team leader asked me why didn't I work on Sunday.

I told that I had to cast my vote, so I didn't work. There were heated arguments with me.

Now I am worried when I heard that this issue is gonna get escalated to higher authorities.

Please guide me.

Learning

5 Replies

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     29 March 2010

Hello, pl go thru the following attachment.

Attached File : 25 25 135b paid holiday for election day.pdf downloaded: 155 times
1 Like

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     29 March 2010

Your problem is not legal but  a practical one. You should convince your superiors humbly and seek an appology even tough you committed no  legal wrong.

1 Like

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     30 March 2010

As Mr. Tripati ji advised, its better not to argue with your superiors that the vote is important and your legal right to vote and your right for holiday on the day of voting...... etc etc - for the sake of your future career. Inspite of that, should the company proceed against you - you can expose the company to legal reprimand and consequential penalities. 

1 Like

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     30 March 2010

As usual Ms. Suchitra is resourceful.  Thank her for the enlightment.

1 Like

Kumar Doab (FIN)     30 March 2010

It was election day,and also a  Sunday i.e a holiday.

During the busy season you are expected to work on weekends. Probably to meet the deadlines.

Otherwise you have a 5days a week shedule which is better than 6 days a week shedule, and in both cases salary is monthly.

You should neither and never initiate heated arguement and should never prolong a discussion.

The escalation is due to the heated arguements.

Patch up with your immediate reporting authority , Project Manager etc.....Seek apology.Avoid penultimate action.

In current market scenario, such incidences are recorded as disobedience and are considered intolerable.Your superiors may not take an immediate action, but may take an action on issues where they are legally strong.

However still if your company proceeds against you, expose them.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register