Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manoj Ramachandran Gomathi   22 December 2018

Power of attorney - is mandatory for home loan?

Hi, 

I am a Salaried employee from TamilNadu. I am planning to get a home loan. I have below queries.

1. To approve home loan will the banks ask for Power of attorney?
  2. If yes, will the Power of attorney involve Stamp duty and Registration charges?
  3. If yes, Stamp duty and Registration charges on Power of attorney, eligible for tax benefit under 80C? 

Thanks,

Manoj

Learning

2 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     22 December 2018

You have to enlcose the copy of previous document (from whom the seller purchased the site/house and some times link documents), salry certificate from your employer, EC for 30 years.  If you purchase the house from builder cum POA agent, the POA is necessary.  Otherwise POA is not necessary. consult the Branch Manager of the loan institution.

1 Like

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     23 December 2018

Please do not assume things on your own, contact a banker and get to know things, a power of attorney was never insisted in any Home Loan in Banks according to my knowledge.  They only seek equitable mortgage of the asset created out of borrowed funds.  The memorandum requires stamp duty in certain states, and the stamp duty is naturally added to the cost of the house/asset.  (Just like other taxes in assets)

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register