LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sasuke   26 March 2018

self acquired property means?

sir/ madam, my grand father brought a land and constructed a house with the money that came as a compensation for the death of my grand mother. That money is given in the names of my grand father, my father and the sister of my father. That land was registered in the name of my grand father. Will that be considered as his self acquired or not?? and will she has any rights on that property as my grand father already registered in my name as gift last year. And an important thing here is my fathers sister is already married before all this happen. Thanks.

Learning

7 Replies

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     26 March 2018

Any property purchased by an individual from his resources or any property he acquired as division of ancestral property or acquired as legal their is called self acquired property.Questioned property was self acquired property of your grand father and he had every right to transfer the property.your aunt has no right/share in questioned property .She can not claim any share in Property.
1 Like

Any property purchased by an individual from his resources or any property he acquired as division of ancestral property or acquired as legal their is called self acquired property.Questioned property was self acquired property of your grand father and he had every right to transfer the property.your aunt has no right/share in questioned property .She can not claim any share in Property.
1 Like

1 Like

sasuke   26 March 2018

Thanks for your answer sir.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     29 March 2018

It is believed that you are all Hindu.

Confirm!

Ancestral Property; should be four generation old…….in other words Any property acquired by the Hindu great grand father, which then passes undivided down the next three generations up to the present generation of great grand son/daughter.

Self acquired property; that is acquired exclusively by one from one’s income/resources, inherited from father/mother/grandmother/uncle/aunt/brother/sister, by partition/division, by decree of court of law, by gift, by WILL, acquired from auction etc  etc

Self acquired property can become ancestral property if it is thrown into the pool of ancestral properties and enjoyed in common.

In your case since IT was award of compensation to legal heirs of deceased grandmother IT should not be ancestral  …………….

If your grandfather purchased land from his share of monies paid by court in his name then IT should be his self acquired property…

The title holder can dispose his self acquired in anyone’s favor be IT even stranger….

If your aunt’s money was not invested in said property then on what grounds  she claimed and staked any charge?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register