LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dattatreya (Proprietor)     21 January 2018

Purchase of self occupied property

I am purchasing a property from a 78 year old retired self employed engineer. He claims it ​is self earned property. He has four daughter's and a son. His son is not living with him. All four daughter's are Consenting for sale and shall come for registration. But his son is silent and not willing to come for registration. I have given paper ad in Local language and in English My query is 1 Should I make all four daughter's as party or make them as consenting witness. 2. Should I leave all daughter's in making party or consenting party as it might give room for sons right. ( As this is self occupied property) 3. What precaution I should take to prove this as self self earned property.

Learning

9 Replies

Adv. Deepak (Advocate)     21 January 2018

Self earned property can be disposed of in any manner by the owner. You need not make daughters party to the deed.
1 Like

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     22 January 2018

The document in the hand of the seller will show how he acquired the poperty.  From that it can be determined it is self acquired or not.

In any case, why don';t you consult a lawyer in your area by showing the photocopy of the document available with the seller?

Dattatreya (Proprietor)     22 January 2018

Thanks you sir The document is silent about the source of fund for purchase of property. I have consulted local lawyer they are saying for safer side take consent of son and daughters. If I go ahead without making any of them as party or consenting witness does any one had on option for moving to court of law.

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     22 January 2018

Dear Dattatreya,

When I said "The document in the hand of the seller will show how he acquired the poperty", all I meant was that whether he acquired the property from third parties; or he got it through partition; or got it under any Settlement etc.

From your reply it appears that the present owner has purchased the property from some third party.  In that case, it can be safely assumed that it is his private self-acquired property.  Therefore, there is no need for the consent/signature of any of his children.   In the sale deed, better insert appropriate Indemnity clause so that in case of any problem in future, the seller should indemnify you.

Thank you very much for your kind and elaborated reply.

Thank you very much for your kind and elaborated reply.

P. Venu (Advocate)     22 January 2018

Prima facie, the property is self-earned; the father has the absolute right  to dispose it at his discretion. 

TGK REDDI   23 January 2018

Self-occupied property or self-acquired property?      If it is self-occupied property, please clarify what self-occupation is.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     23 March 2018

This is an immovable property, not an intellectual property. This query should have been elsewhere.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register