LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

nithin   09 December 2017

Cheque case

Hi I am Nithin I just wanted to know this My dad expired this year june There are some people with his blank cheques telling they owed my dad cash and one person has even sent a lawyer notice telling since me and my mother are his legal heirs , we need to repay the amount . But we are not aware about it at all and all the properties are in my mother's name ,nothing ever was in my dad's name. Can they do something about it ,can they file a case in this context ?

Learning

2 Replies

Nitish Banka (lawyer)     09 December 2017

Its illegal to use cheques now as bank cannot be operated when your father died..no liability on legal heirs
1 Like

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     10 December 2017

All cheque leaves issued to a person and cheques, if any, issued by the person, become invalid on the death of the person. But if there was money in the account on which the cheques were drawn, bona fide creditors can have a claim on that amount. But they will have legally establish their claims. Creditors can have claim also on any other estate left behind by the deceased. They can have no claim on any property, which was not in the name of the deceased. You submit death certificate to the banks where your father had accounts, if you have not already done so.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register