LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

D   26 October 2017

Cousin marriage in christians

Hi, I belong to Roman Catholic Community in Kerala. I am in a relationship with my mother's brother's son. His home is in Indore and he is currently settled in Delhi. I am working in Bangalore. Our families are against our relationship. But we want to get married. Is it legal for us to get married? Either court marriage or marriage in church.

Learning

20 Replies

Adv Radhika Mehta (Advocate)     27 October 2017

In my opinion, your marriage will not be legally valid as you both are within the prohibited degrees of consanguinity.  

D   27 October 2017

Thanks Adv Radhika. Can you please let me know which all relations fall inside prohibited degrees of consanguinity. And it won�t be valid if court marriage is done also?

Adv Radhika Mehta (Advocate)     27 October 2017

Relationship Example Relationships
First degree Parent-child Siblings
Second degree Half siblings Uncle-niece Aunt-nephew
Third degree First cousins Half uncle-niece Half aunt-nephew
Fourth degree First cousins once removed Half first cousins

The marriage wont be valid irrespective of whether you opt for a wedding ceremony or even a Court Marriage. 

D   27 October 2017

Thanks for clarification. Just for the clarification, I have seen cousin marriage happening in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and AP. Is that also invalid? And what all are the consequences of an invalid marriage?

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     27 October 2017

Cousin marriage are not forbidden as per Christianity in my opinion. 

D   27 October 2017

Thank you sir. But will it be valid in our case if we do court marriage? Because the reply from Radhika mam confuses me.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900
Cousin marriage are not forbidden as per Christianity in my opinion. 

Your opinion is wrong.  Incest is forbidden in any community not just among Hindus.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : D
Thanks for clarification. Just for the clarification, I have seen cousin marriage happening in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and AP. Is that also invalid? And what all are the consequences of an invalid marriage?

Those fools are responsible for pulling down the growth of this country.

They wont have healthy chidlren.

They will be born mentally or physically challenged due to gene factor.

Cousin marriages are forbidden.

Boys and girls cannot marry any of their so called cousins either on fathers side or mothers side.

Usually such marriages are done to keep the property within the family.  This is wrong as per Law too.

Indian Christian Marriage Act, 1872 forbids such marriages.

Dont marry, if you want to have s*x just book hotel room, use condom and enjoy, dont become a problem to this nation by producing physically and or mentally retarded kids.

(Guest)

Consequences of Invalid marriage are.

No legal entity to children born out of such invalid marriage.

No share in property to them,

No share in propert to their children.

No share in property to wife.

Even if living together you will be be just living as a live in partner/keep.

(Guest)

It further depends on sub groups.

Are u marthoma or jacobite? which group do u belong?

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     28 October 2017

Even the mulslim are celebrating cousin marriages. I Bible list of forbiden marriages were given and there is no mention of cousin marriage as forbidden marriage.

D   28 October 2017

This mixed opinions really confuses me. And Raj Malhotra sir, I have seen blood relatives getting married and having healthy kids. If it was about having physical pleasure, I couldn�t have raised this question in this forum.

D   28 October 2017

This mixed opinions really confuses me. And Raj Malhotra sir, I have seen blood relatives getting married and having healthy kids. If it was about having physical pleasure, I couldn�t have raised this question in this forum.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : D

Genetic defect can be googled.

If not your children someone down the line will suffer.   Suffering is sure shot.  Take my word for it.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register