Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

silver80   16 June 2017

Guarantor in rent agreement

Dear Sir, Madam,

I want to know what is the liability of the persom who acts as a Guarantor / Reference in a rent agreement in case the tenant defaults

Regards

Learning

10 Replies

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     16 June 2017

If the tenant DEFAULTS THE GUARANTOR HAS TO PAY THE RENT OR TOTAL RENT. aFTER PAYMN T OF TOTASL RENT OR AGREED RENT GUARANTOR STANDS IN THE SH0OES OF LANDLORD AND COLOECTS HIS RENT OR MONEY FROM THE  tenanat. This is. ACCORDINFG TO iNDIAN CONTRACT Act

1 Like

silver80   16 June 2017

Thank you M'am. Just to clarify,

1. It is not Guarantor but Reference in the Police Verification

2. The person mentioned as reference is not aware that his name was given in Police Verification

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     16 June 2017

In case seing his face as  a reference you may let off yhr accused. om bail etc.a reference muast be a respectable person.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     17 June 2017

Author is also not clear qua his question, reframe it.

Law Aspire (Legal)     17 June 2017

Originally posted by : Ms.Usha Kapoor
If the tenant DEFAULTS THE GUARANTOR HAS TO PAY THE RENT OR TOTAL RENT. aFTER PAYMN T OF TOTASL RENT OR AGREED RENT GUARANTOR STANDS IN THE SH0OES OF LANDLORD AND COLOECTS HIS RENT OR MONEY FROM THE  tenanat. This is. ACCORDINFG TO iNDIAN CONTRACT Act

Any other Law will also come into play in this situation, please clarify

Whats is the responsibilty of reference given in police station.

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     17 June 2017

Referencer means a respectable person in convics/accused's locality who corroborates that accused is innocent. The referencer must know the accused since a long time. The referencer must bne a respectable person.     He should testify that accused is  of  good charactor inthe  context of opolice verification.

silver80   19 June 2017

Apologies for being vague, the issue is:

1. I knew a person in my building 1.5 years back.

2. He shifted along with his family to another building.

3. Without my knowledge he gave my name and contact number in the Police Verification as reference.

4. Now after over a year I got a call from the local police station that this person has disappeared and left some balance rent which is pending (About Rs. 20000).

5. I told them that I have had no contact with him for the last 8-9 months and when I tried his old phone numbers they are all disconnected.

6. I need to know if I have a liability in this case or can I be held responsible in any way.

Adv. Vaishali Harish Gore (job)     20 June 2017

did you recd earlier call from Police or did you sign any documents pertaining to said person. if both the anwer is no then you need not to be worry, as without your consent if somone has given your name, then you are not laible for the same.

Adv. Vaishali Harish Gore (job)     20 June 2017

did you recd earlier call from Police or did you sign any documents pertaining to said person. if both the anwer is no then you need not to be worry, as without your consent if somone has given your name, then you are not laible for the same.

silver80   20 June 2017

I got a call from the police asking if I knew him and asking for his contact number, but the numbers that I have are the same as police has and both are disconnected.

I have not signed anything.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register