LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Satyajit Sarkar   16 June 2017

Loan recovery threats by banks.

I have taken personal loan from HDFC bank three years bank have been paying my monthly dues Rs 10500.00 approx every month without any default till the month of May 2017. I had left my corporate job in January 2017 and started doing own consulting work however I could not make much progress in the consulting till date and have used all my savings towards business and meeting the family expenses besides paying the monthly installments to HDFC bank towards to monthly installments and also I was paying ICICI Bank about Rs.17000.00 per month as I had two property loans taken earlier from ICICI Bank and both have completed 10 years(10 and 14 years being already paid against this property loans) without any defaults despite me having lost my job for 17 months now. Anticipating my financial crisis well in advance I had written to both the banks CEO & MD explaining my current circumstances and my inability to pay the monthly installments for next couple of months however assuring them that I will start paying the due installments with effect from Aug/Sept 2017 onwards as I anticipate my financial situation will start improving by the time. I have also offered both the banks in my letter that my properties are currently valued much higher as per the market hence I propose that the bank considers a transfer of loan and top up so that I can continue to pay the monthly installments to the bank without having to worry about default and bank will have the property documents as security/guarantee.

However, both the banks have not accepted my proposition and declined my request. Now particularly HDFC Bank has started calling me and sending the loan recovery persons to my residence without notice and using all kind of tactics to threaten me by their ITO. I have been proactively writing to the HDFC Bank about my situation, taking all their calls, responding on time yet they are now becoming very aggressive not threatening me. I had again written to the MD of HDFC Bank about my recent experience of their ITO visiting my residence and threatening to visit my house everyday and let my land lord know about my case.

My query is how do I deal and protect myself from such ordeal and my reputation being tarnished and assassinated. I have been loyal customer, paid my dues on time all this years and just when I have some financial crisis and I voluntarily took the initiative to inform the highest authority of the bank (CEO/MD) for assistance and differ the installments for couple of months can the bank in this case be so rigid and use all kind of threats and unprovoked means to harass me, threaten me?

What should I do now as I fear the banks will not stop here and will use more muscle and tactics to tarnish my reputation. I have all the correspondences in my mail with the both the banks and their responses saved for future references.

Will appreciate your advise and guidance.   

Learning

5 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     16 June 2017

Originally posted by : Satyajit Sarkar
I have taken personal loan from HDFC bank three years bank have been paying my monthly dues Rs 10500.00 approx every month without any default till the month of May 2017. I had left my corporate job in January 2017 and started doing own consulting work however I could not make much progress in the consulting till date and have used all my savings towards business and meeting the family expenses besides paying the monthly installments to HDFC bank towards to monthly installments and also I was paying ICICI Bank about Rs.17000.00 per month as I had two property loans taken earlier from ICICI Bank and both have completed 10 years(10 and 14 years being already paid against this property loans) without any defaults despite me having lost my job for 17 months now. Anticipating my financial crisis well in advance I had written to both the banks CEO & MD explaining my current circumstances and my inability to pay the monthly installments for next couple of months however assuring them that I will start paying the due installments with effect from Aug/Sept 2017 onwards as I anticipate my financial situation will start improving by the time. I have also offered both the banks in my letter that my properties are currently valued much higher as per the market hence I propose that the bank considers a transfer of loan and top up so that I can continue to pay the monthly installments to the bank without having to worry about default and bank will have the property documents as security/guarantee.

However, both the banks have not accepted my proposition and declined my request. Now particularly HDFC Bank has started calling me and sending the loan recovery persons to my residence without notice and using all kind of tactics to threaten me by their ITO. I have been proactively writing to the HDFC Bank about my situation, taking all their calls, responding on time yet they are now becoming very aggressive not threatening me. I had again written to the MD of HDFC Bank about my recent experience of their ITO visiting my residence and threatening to visit my house everyday and let my land lord know about my case.

My query is how do I deal and protect myself from such ordeal and my reputation being tarnished and assassinated. I have been loyal customer, paid my dues on time all this years and just when I have some financial crisis and I voluntarily took the initiative to inform the highest authority of the bank (CEO/MD) for assistance and differ the installments for couple of months can the bank in this case be so rigid and use all kind of threats and unprovoked means to harass me, threaten me?

What should I do now as I fear the banks will not stop here and will use more muscle and tactics to tarnish my reputation. I have all the correspondences in my mail with the both the banks and their responses saved for future references.

Will appreciate your advise and guidance.   

What/Who is ITO?

Hope you shall take it positively.

You have borrowed and lenders are concerned only with recovery of good money lent.

Lenders are known to make good from such cases.

Lenders are known to show no concern for personal problems of borrowers.

Record all threats (audio/visual/minuted/witnessed).

Lodge police complaint.

If you can bring the lenders to table and succeed in as conceived by you, go ahead.

Transfer of loan/Top Up are discretion of lenders and in your case the lenders have probably not found your case/credit worthiness good for such consideration. If you wish you can try again by meeting higher Bank officials.

Is it possible to sell property (ies) that are above market price and clear the debt(s)! The Co-operation of bank/bankers would be needed.

The home loan is secured debt and bank/bankers are comfortable with value of assets being more than lending.

The bank/bankers may pool in all debts.

Satyajit Sarkar   16 June 2017

Thank you for all your suggestion and advise. I will need all your advises and help going forward as this is probably a long battle I will unfortunately have to fight due to my current situation.

I have already minuted the sequence of events along with the conversation during the visit of loan recovery agent / ITO to my residence and mailed the same to the MD of the bank with copy to respective loan recovery department and customer redressal for which I have already received the acknowledgement from MD's office to review my case and respond within 4 working days.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register