Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dhiraj Srivastava (Finance Manager)     09 May 2017

Call recording of wife after she left home

Dear Expert,

I am contesting divorce case on account of adultery against my wife. During the cross, she denied the call recordings in which she admitted that she has made a sin and pleaded for forgiveness . At the time of call recording, she was at her parents house and call was recorded in my mobile phone using call recording features of mobile. We have produced five eyewitness i.e. Me, my mother, my mausi, my mausi's son and House Maid residing in servant quarter. She has also denied the servant name and said the servant was 14 year old. In the instant case, paramour of my wife already convicted and senteced to 3 years RI. He has also challenged same in higher court.

We have submitted an application in court for voice sample to bring out the trurth and they have denied citing privacy and all clause. Now question is:-

1. Can voice recording be admitted as proof. I came to know one case law S.B. CIVIL WRIT PETITION NO. 14726/2013 in high court bench at Jaipur where in it was held that unilateral call recording between husband and wife is not to be admitted even if it is true.

2. However, contrary judgements are also there in Mrs.Havovi Kersi Sethna vs Mr.Kersi Gustad Sethna (High Court of Mumbai) and by Supereme Court in CRIMINAL APPEAL NO. 1525 OF 2015.

Thus, please advise whether voice recording between husband and wife is admissible in Court. Further, whether request of voice sample will survive? 

Please give your opinion supported with the case law/s

Please advise 

Learning

7 Replies

(Guest)
Was paramour convicted for adultery (ipc 497)? If so, why bother about other evidence? Just that conviction is enough for you to get divorce..

Dhiraj Srivastava (Finance Manager)     11 May 2017

Yes Sir. Paramour has been convicted. But my lawyer said that evidence in criminal case are not binding in Civil Cases. Further, decision in one case may or may not be acceptable in another case.

That's why I don't want any scope for her to escape divorce on grounds of aultery for any doubt or alike as it will help me to take custody of my daughter also.

(Guest)
Yes. Your lawyer is absolutely wrong. Both convictions and acquittals (e.g. false 498a) are binding in civil cases and actually more effective in getting divorce because criminal cases have stronger proof requirements. May be your lawyer meant that since he is appealing in higher courts, that conviction cannot be at present used in your civil case, which is true.
1 Like

Dhiraj Srivastava (Finance Manager)     13 May 2017

Dear Experts,

Thanks for your opinion. As pointed out by Sarmaji, "May be your lawyer meant that since he is appealing in higher courts, that conviction cannot be at present used in your civil case, which is true", this is the reason why my advocate suggested me to full proof the case. Since divorce on ground of adultery against wife require more strict proof please reply to my original question reproduced herebelow:-

We have submitted an application in court for voice sample to bring out the trurth and they have denied citing privacy and all clause. Now question is:-

1. Can voice recording be admitted as proof. I came to know one case law S.B. CIVIL WRIT PETITION NO. 14726/2013 in high court bench at Jaipur where in it was held that unilateral call recording between husband and wife is not to be admitted even if it is true.

2. However, contrary judgements are also there in Mrs.Havovi Kersi Sethna vs Mr.Kersi Gustad Sethna (High Court of Mumbai) and by Supereme Court in CRIMINAL APPEAL NO. 1525 OF 2015

I shall be thankful to experts.

(Guest)
I'm not sure about this. Sorry.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     15 May 2017

Your lawyer is partially wrong. The judgment of the criminal case becomes an evidence in civil case. However, that does not absolve you the responsibility of proving your case.

In the instant case, you must move higher court to get your electronic evidence admitted. The chances of it being admitted is very high. Also, your case could be proved by other witnesses. Now unless one knows what point exactly you are stuck no concrete advise can be given.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

www.shoneekapoor.com 

1 Like

Dhiraj Srivastava (Finance Manager)     16 May 2017

Thanks Mr.Kapoor. We are fullfiling our duty to prove our case. Same thing has been advised by my lawyer that conviction in criminal case is no doubt a good proof but it has not reached to its final conculsion as appealled by the accussed. Thus, we have to prove the case.

So, we are taking every steps so that respondent may not get any benefit of doubt. 

Thanks to all expert giving their valuable time. 

Regards,

Dhiraj

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register