LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Darshan   02 November 2016

Legal Heir Certificate

How to obtain a Legal Heir Certificate in Mumbai ? Husband & Wife has 3 children. Husband expired in December 2015. Please can someone guide me on step/procedure involved with obtaining a Legal Heir Certificate.

Learning

2 Replies

SHARAD CHANDRA DANEJ (Asstt. Manager)     07 November 2016

Succession Certificate

In case a person dies intestate his estate has to be managed by someone to inherit and it can be done only by inheriting the authority by court process for which a succession certificate can be issued by a civil court to the legal heirs of a deceased. Formalities like realization of debts and securities, transferring of assets and to inherit debts to realize the debts and securities of the deceased can be completed by legal heirs only after grant of succession certificate. A beneficiary makes an application to a civil court and court may grant the certificate according to Succession Act, if it is satisfied.

How to apply for a Succession Certificate?

1. Petition-
  2. A duly signed and verified application must be made to the civil court of competent jurisdiction.
  3. In the petition, details like petitioner’s name, name of legal heirs of deceased, relationship of the petitioner with deceased, right of petitioner, residences of relatives and family of deceased and details of death along with the death certificate debts and securities for which the succession certificate has to be obtained have to be mentioned.

2- Fee:

According to Schedule II of The Court Fees Act, 1870, certain amount is levied as court fee for this process. Stamp Duty may vary from state to state.

3-Process:

A newspaper notice for 45 days is issued by the court. Any person having problem with it can file objections. If the court doesn’t receive any objection, it issues succession certificate. This process takes five to seven months.

Documents required for obtaining Succession Certificate:

Below is the list of documents required for applying for the Succession Certificate:
(i) Death certificate
(ii) Pan Card of all the legal heirs .
(iii) Ration card of all the legal heirs.
(iv)-Prescribed application form by affixing a court fee stamp.

Thank me by clicking on thumbs up icon just below my profile, if you like the procedure.

1 Like

SHARAD CHANDRA DANEJ (Asstt. Manager)     07 November 2016

Maybe be the stamp duty has been waived off. Please ensure before you engage a lawyer or apply for succession certificate in the civil court.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register