LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jithendra.H.J (Lawyer)     05 January 2010

SIMs being misused by Pak callers?

Anonymous calls from landline numbers in Pakistan are being made to phone users here. The person called is told he has won a lucky draw. But when he begins to press keys on his cell phone, the caller is able to access his SIM and can use the number to make calls and send SMSes. The calls are coming from a number starting with +92, which is Pakistan’s country code. Cyber crime expert Pavan Duggal said, ‘‘Since the calls are coming from across the border, is it possible the accessed numbers are being misused.” Kunal Verma of Gurgaon said he received such a call from +923055394596 on Monday. The man on the other side claimed he was calling from ‘‘the Bombay office of Verma’s service provider”. The caller asked him to call the number 00923037514592 and speak to one Prithvi Raj, and to work out the modalities of collecting his prize money. Verma got suspicious and disconnected. ‘‘I then enquired with my service provider. But they denied making any such call. They told me the call might have come from Pakistan,” Verma said. Three days ago, this reporter also received a similar call from the number +92347694722, with the caller offering a DTH unit as the prize. An executive with the service provider’s helpline said they had been receiving similar complaints and had issued a warning to all subscribers via SMS. ‘‘You are absolutely safe as long you do not give out any details or press any key during such a call. Simply disconnect,’’ the customer care executive said. 

news appeared in times of India

Learning

3 Replies

R.K.SUNDERRAJ (LAWYER HUBLI,KARNATAKA)     06 January 2010

THANKS TO: JITENDRA FOR A VERY VALUABLE INFORMATION,SO THAT EVERY ONE COULD BE CAUSIOUS IN ADVANCE.

(Guest)

The Government of India has to ban SMS, allotment of mobile connections. Should encourage land lines with cheap rates.Should put heavy restrictions on private telecoms.

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     06 January 2010

Thank u sir, for this information, which is related to our National Security. We will be cautious.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register