LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ashish   28 June 2016

Excess bill paid not being refunded - tenanat

As a tenant I was paying the electricity bill as per the bill I was getting. When I came to know that I was being charged in excess I contacted my landlord. He said he cannot help and that I should contact the electricity company. When I contacted the electricity company they adjusted the excess amount and now the electricity bill is in negative. As my agreement got expired I decided to leave the house however the landlord is now not willing to pay the amount that is in negative. He still stands to benefit from the negative balance as he would let out the premises again, he can get the refund by cheque also. But he is not willing to do any of that and is asking me to get a refund from electricity company.

Learning

2 Replies

JustAdvisor (IT)     28 June 2016

he holds an account with the electricity company and you have paid into his account. thus you have paid him in excess by mistake. under section 72 of the Indian contract act he must repay it. send him a letter followed by a notice through advocate who will charge reasonable fees (if he doesn't pay after your letter). if landlord is thick skinned and doesn't budge, do a cost benefit analysis on whether you want to pursue the matter further.
1 Like

Ashish   28 June 2016

Is there any clause within the tenancy act for this?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register