LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

srk (Service)     12 March 2016

Passport impound status

Experts,Thanks for helping me in earlier queries, most of the knowledge i gained on 498a cases if you these forums. please guide me.

when passport impound order is issued by the court in India, will an Indian embassy abroad impound my passport, when i visit the embassy?

I am in a situation where i need a letter from Indian Embassy about the status and validity of my passport, I dont know if the impound order is real.

Learning

7 Replies

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     12 March 2016

An Indian Passport impounded by govt of India for involvement in a criminal activity, is not valid in any other country,untill revoked.Hence the details of the impounded passport will automatically be sent to the Indian embassy's outside.

The status of the impounded passport will be available at passportindia.gov.in

Anand   14 March 2016

If an order to impound your Indian passport has been issued by an Indian court, then it will be uploaded into the system of the Ministry of Home Affairs. If you try to renew your passport or need consular assistance at any Indian diplomatic mission around the world, your passport will be red flagged in their system with orders to impound the passport. If your not sure if an order has been issued, you may check the Indian “e” courts website with details of your case filed against you in India, and check the orders the judge has passed in your case accordingly.

srk (Service)     17 March 2016

Thanks a lot Shri Sainath and Shri Anand,

I was not able to find the correct link to check the status of the impounded passport in the MEA website.

I have been tracking my cases in the "e" courts website and i havent seen any passport impound order in the cases, all i see is NBW being issued againt me,  i am planning to submit a RTI application and also visit the Indian Embassy in 2 weeks.

Anand   17 March 2016

As far as I am aware there is no website where you can check if there is an order to impound your passport. Ultimately only the passport issuing authority has the legal right to impound your passport with or without an order of the court. It maybe a good idea as you mentioned to file an RTI with the passport office where your passport was issued to find out if an impound order has been issued. Alternatively you might try using the services of a local lawyer who could help you with the same. In the long run it would be better to fight the cases against you legally rather than having problems coming up in the future.

srk (Service)     18 March 2016

Thanks Shri Anand for the information shared, I agree passport Authority has legal Right to impound the passport but still they have to notify to the passport holder at the address on the passport with the reasons for impound. I communicated with the Consular at Indian Embassy and he asked me to visit the embassy directly, planning to only take photo copies of the passport to the embassy, dont know if he is going to provide the letter with just a passport copy.

Should i carry the passport or not? if yes will the consular impound the passport if the impound order is active?

In 2012 passport impound order was issued by the session court and my lawyer got a stay from high court and got it released off impound status. very competive lawyer but he is not able to get the information about current Impound status as there is no document trail.

I will also carry the letter about the release from impound status. 

srk (Service)     24 March 2016

Thanks Shri Sainath and Shri Anand for you time, 

i visited the Consulate general of India and they were able to provide me the letter mentioning the validity of the passport. one thing i have learn is never take the original copy of the passport if we do not know the status, Notirized copy of the passport is as good as Original, in case the impound order is active they will only take away the copy not the original.

srk

1 Like

Rameesh   08 May 2018

Dear Srk,

Any update after that? if yes please update it will help harassed people. Tks.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register