Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

rubberneck   02 October 2015

Divorce and inheritable assets

Hi there,

I am a non-Hindu boy soon to be married to a Hindu girl under the Special Marriage Act. I was recently told by a family friend who went through a divorce after being married under the SMA, that the wife is entitled to take 50% of the inheritable assets of the husband.

My questions are:

1. Is this true?

2. Is there any way to avoid this exposure - either through my parents will excluding me from the inheritance, or through my relinquishment of inheritable property or some other way?

By way of background, although I am very much in love with my fiance, she has some mental issues, which might lead to problems in the future. Hence, I think it is best to be prepared for all eventualities.

Appreciate your inputs!

Learning

4 Replies

saravanan s (legal advisor)     02 October 2015

thats not true.so dont worry

1 Like

prabhakar advocate (advocate)     02 October 2015

Yes, your friends's opinion is not correct.

1 Like

(Guest)
Originally posted by : rubberneck
Hi there,

I am a non-Hindu boy soon to be married to a Hindu girl under the Special Marriage Act. I was recently told by a family friend who went through a divorce after being married under the SMA, that the wife is entitled to take 50% of the inheritable assets of the husband.

My questions are:

1. Is this true?

2. Is there any way to avoid this exposure - either through my parents will excluding me from the inheritance, or through my relinquishment of inheritable property or some other way?

By way of background, although I am very much in love with my fiance, she has some mental issues, which might lead to problems in the future. Hence, I think it is best to be prepared for all eventualities.

Appreciate your inputs!

With doubts like this in your head, dont take step of marrying any woman.  Surely your days are doomed by the way you think, dont get married and spoil some girls life.

advocatepassy@gmail.com 971794 (Advocate)     03 October 2015

Better do not marry her.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register