LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Md.Anwarul Haque Danish (None)     20 November 2009

Even if police give clean chit,accused can be prosecuted

Supreme Court Judgment : Even if police give clean chit,accused can be prosecuted . 13th Nov 09.

New Delhi: The Supreme Court has held that a person can be prosecuted by courts even if the police give him or her a clean chit by claiming there is no evidence against the accused.

Interpreting section 319 of the CrPC, a bench of Justices R V Raveendran and G S Singhvi said the proviso empowers the court to summon any person for facing the trial even though the police may claim that there is no evidence to nail the accused.

"Section 319 CrPC applies to all the courts, including the Sessions Court. It empowers the court to add any person, not being the accused before it, but against whom there appears during trial sufficient evidence indicating his involvement in the offence, as an accused and direct him to be tried along with other accused.

"If such a person is not attending the Court, he can be arrested or summoned. If he is attending the Court, although not under arrest or upon a summons, he can be detained by such Court for the purpose of inquiry into, or trial of the offence which he appears to have committed," the bench said in a judgement.

The apex court passed the judgement while dismissing the appeal by a woman summoned in a dowry case by a Rajasthan court even though the police claimed there was no evidence against her as the alleged victim Anita lived in Sriganganagar district whereas the accused sister-in-law Suman lived in Bikaner district.

Anita had lodged cases of harassment against her husband Pramod Kumar, mother-in-law Rukmani Devi and father-in-law Ram Kumar besides sister-in-las Suman under IPC sections 406 (criminal breach of trust) 498A(harassment), 354 (outraging modesty) 377 (unnatrual offences) and 323 (causing hurt).

The Jawaharnagar police in Sriganganagar district had filed the chargesheet on January 4, 2003, against the husband and parents-in-law but not against Suman even though Anita named her in the FIR and the statements recorded by the police.

According to the police, Suman lived in Bikaner whereas the victim and the other in-laws lived in Bikaner and there was no evidence to indicate that she had also harassed the victim.

Anita moved the judicial magistrate of Ganganagar who issued summons to Suman. The latter questioned the issuance of summons before the Sessions Court on the ground that since she had been given a clean chit by the police, the court cannot summon her to stand trial.

The Sessions Court dismissed her plea and the Rajasthan High Court concurred with the order, after which she appealed in the apex court.

Dismissing Suman's appeal, the apex court, citing its earlier judgements, said "we hold that a person who is named in the first information report or complaint with the allegation that he/she has committed any particular crime or offence but against whom the police does not launch prosecution or files charge-sheet or drops the case, can be proceeded against under Section 319 Cr.P.C. if from the evidence collected/produced in the course of any inquiry into or trial of an offence, the court is prima facie satisfied that such person has committed any offence for which he can be tried with other accused."

Anita had, in her complaint, alleged that besides harassing her for dowry, the accused took her to a lady doctor and got implanted a device to prevent her giving birth to any child.

She also alleged though Suman resided in Bikaner she used to instigate on phone her parents and brother to harass her.

Bureau Report

Learning

15 Replies

(Guest)
Good decision. Thank you very much for providing valuable information.

Anish goyal (Advocate)     20 November 2009

Danish sir welcome and thanks

Md.Anwarul Haque Danish (None)     21 November 2009

NO brother Sathya,

Not at all a good decision. Speaking only in terms of False IPC 498a, if the IO is a good officer and after investigation finds that the mother,father,sister,brother in laws are not at all involved and actually submits that report and gives them a clean chit, even then they can be hauled up in court and prosecuted.

This is a defeat in terms of real and sincere police work.

I think the SC has just complicated all cases from sessions to SC.

Please shed light in this respect.

Thanks and regards,

Anwarul.

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     21 November 2009

MY PERCEPTIONS :

The jurisdiction to pronounce  "guility" or say "clean chit", etc... rests with the Judicial authority  AND the police have no such authority.  The authority to cross, examine etc... rests with Judicial authority and not with the police.  Facts of the case can come out ONLY during judicial trial and not during investigation of the police officers who do not have authority  to cross or examine or etc...

IF the above were so than all the matters could be pronounced  "clean chit alias not-guilty"  or "bad chit alias guilty"  at the police department itself  AND there would be no need for Courts or the Judicial authorities to pronounce any judgments or to uphold the law.

IN FACT, the SC judgement sets right majority of the things, wherein witnesses and parties manage to scuttle around and manage the police with unholy gratitude.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal

Hardik Mehta (Family Counsellor)     24 November 2009

Although the judgement was against the women concerned, prima facie reading the judgement suggests that the crime is made. Pulling the hair and putting the copper-t forcefully is the act of cruelty as per the FIR, and so the trial has to stand. If there were no charges then this could not have stand the trial. In one way, the Supreme Court has given justice to the FIR. In the similar manner, if there is any apprenhensation of the crime beyond the reasonable doubt, then this could have been set aside.

(Guest)

Danish ji,

In the prosecution truth will come out. How police can give clean chit without prosecuting the accused? I welcome the Hon'ble SC's verdict.

I agree with Hemanth Agrawal ji's  and Hardik Mehata ji's view.

Md.Anwarul Haque Danish (None)     24 November 2009

Prakash Jee,

I completely agre with you that in Prosecution the truth will come out. No doubt.

But brother, i am a victim of a false IPC 498a filed after 11/2years of my wife living in her father's house. Now in the FIR she has accused my whole family including my brother (living in a different state/city). Now  they're asking for Rs.60/- Lakhs to settle a false case whereas we are fighting it.

Now if in the event that the IO finds the truth that this case is false,(which I doubt coz of benifits to IO by my inlaws) and gives us a clean chit. Yet we will have to face the ordeal of court case.

If you see that way it is a loss. Especially when the court can anytime summon anyone and attach him/her to be a party to the case.

Please shed light in this new aspect.

Regards.

(Guest)

Danish ji,

I agree with you. Now a days 498 A is misusing a lot for the sake of share in property or to harras the husband and his family. I can suggest don't do any settlement with them. As a victim you can challange IPC 498A  against union of India.

Md.Anwarul Haque Danish (None)     24 November 2009

Thank you Sathya jee,

I know IPC 498a is being heavily misused. After my case I found out an Ngo called Bharat Bachao Sanghatan and Save Indian Family that guids ppl and today I myself am helping other victims. But it seems to be a losing battle for me coz now my IO is askings for Rs.1.25/- Lakhs and the Addl.OC. is asking for Rs.5/- Lakhs to make the charge sheet in my favour. So i just told them to go screw themselves, i'll fight the case no matter what.

Why should I pay when i have done no wrong. ? What is the diffrenece between Police and Terorists ?

!-- function __RP_Callback_Helper(str, strCallbackEvent, splitSize, func){var event = null;if (strCallbackEvent){event = document.createEvent('Events');event.initEvent(strCallbackEvent, true, true);}if (str && str.length > 0){var splitList = str.split('|');var strCompare = str;if (splitList.length == splitSize)strCompare = splitList[splitSize-1];var pluginList = document.plugins;for (var count = 0; count < pluginList.length; count++){var sSrc = '';if (pluginList[count] && pluginList[count].src)sSrc = pluginList[count].src;if (strCompare.length >= sSrc.length){if (strCompare.indexOf(sSrc) != -1){func(str, count, pluginList, splitList);break;}}}}if (strCallbackEvent)document.body.dispatchEvent(event);}function __RP_Coord_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Left = splitList[0];pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Top = splitList[1];pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Right = splitList[2];pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Bottom = splitList[3];};__RP_Callback_Helper(str, 'rp-js-coord-callback', 5, func);}function __RP_Url_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_Url_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_Url_Callback_Vid = splitList[0];pluginList[index].__RP_Url_Callback_Parent = splitList[1];};__RP_Callback_Helper(str, 'rp-js-url-callback', 3, func);}function __RP_TotalBytes_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_TotalBytes_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_TotalBytes_Callback_Bytes = splitList[0];};__RP_Callback_Helper(str, null, 2, func);}function __RP_Connection_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_Connection_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_Connection_Callback_Url = splitList[0];};__RP_Callback_Helper(str, null, 2, func);} //-->

Hardik Mehta (Family Counsellor)     24 November 2009

Danishji,

You dont have to pay the amount to IO or to any other person. Just write the letter to the Commissioner of Police asking for changing the IO since he is asking the bribe and not doing the investigation. This will make them to file the chargesheet immediately. Then you need to fight in the court. SIFF will help you in the case proceedings and how to tackle the same. On the contrary, you can also counter the attacks by filing DP3 case in Judicial Magistrates Court u/s156(3). Thus the case can be closed early. There are many other ways to tackle this case. Do not bow to their demands and they will give the divorce without taking a single penny. As the case progresses, their lies will come out and the demands will decrease. One blow will dismiss their demands, which you need to hit at the right time.

1 Like

Rajan Salvi (Lawyer)     14 December 2009

Good Work. Prevent corruption at all costs and stages.

R.K.SUNDERRAJ (LAWYER HUBLI,KARNATAKA)     28 December 2009

I AGREE WITH HARDIK METHA'S VIEWS

Adv ramesh chheda (prop)     30 December 2009

it is true that person can be bring in to the net of accused even if the i/o gives clean chit but it is based on the evidenecs which he has collected. if the complainant proves that either investigation is not correctly carried out or if the i/o has not given faulty report even on the basis of evidenes it is clear case of framing of charges, in such case, person can be brought in to the books of accused.

however when the person is named as accused then later he can make an application for discharge before trial has begun to say that sufficient evidence are not against him/ her and case cannot be proved against such a person if such persons is facing a trial and in such a case it will be waste of time , cost and energy of court as well of such person. if court satifies with his application in such a case court can grant discharge.

dr krishan k arora (dy.secy)     08 January 2010

Danish, I am with you for showing two fingers to police, but as advised by Mr Mehta, you must inform/complaint in confidence to the Police Commissioner so that a tag is kept on those two officers and you never know they may be hauled up. Second aspect is to complain to the CBI and CVC and arrange to get them red-handed. This will solve so many problems. I donot know if I should be 'that bebaak' on the net which is accessible to so many friends and foes equally.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register