LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

rohanpatil   15 April 2015

Wife filed crpc 125 after staying away for 2 yrs

My wife is too much career-focused (she has done MBA); and also has a nasty and compulsive habit of telling lies. The main reason for our fights was difference of opinion and interests; and also her aforementioned habits. Also, she used to spend 10-12 hrs daily in office, and didn't have much time to pay attention to marital life. And these fights were almost daily.
Finally, I got fed up of the daily fights, and called her parents over to my home and discussed the matter along with my parents. Her parents asked me to give it one more try, and asked my wife to stop coming home late. But she still didn't listen, and kept coming late. After a month, I asked her parents to come over again to discuss this. This time when they came (Feb 2013), they didn't talk to me at all, and packed up my wife's belongings and told my parents that they were taking her to Nasik. But the fact was that my wife had already rented a flat in Powai by that time, and she started living there. Now, she has been staying away from her matrimonial house for more than 2 yrs. In this duration, my parents and I tried to talk to my wife and her parents to come forth to discuss the matter, but they kept refusing to do so. I even met up with my wife at her Powai residence during this period to discuss this matter. On one occasion, her father threatened my father on the phone saying that he was going to take legal action against me. Even my wife had once said during our conversation (during the separation period) that even she thought that we should file for a divorce, but her father was not ready for that yet. She said whenever she started this topic with her father, he always said "What's your hurry?". Her father is just being vengeful towards me and wants to teach me a lesson. He just wants to waste as many years of my life as he can, and my wife might probably be more focused on the monetary gain.
In Oct 2014, I finally sent her a notice through my lawyer, stating the honest reasons for our fights (difference of opinion and interests), and requested her to come forth to discuss the matter in the interest of peacefully resolving it. She replied to that notice accusing me of Domestic Violence and cruelty. But in this notice they did mention that her parents took her away due to the daily quarrels that were happening. I replied to this notice, denying those charges, and requested them for a peaceful discussion. In return, she changed her lawyer and this time, sent her notice through new lawyer only to accuse me of DV, Dowry (new allegation, which was NOT present in their first notice) and cruelty. Also, in this notice, now they said that I threw her out of the house in just a single pair of clothing. I again replied denying all charges and requested her to come forward for discussions. After this, she has filed case in Nasik court for maintenance u/s CrPC 125, in which she states that she is not working anywhere and also stated many other false things like DV, Dowry etc. But I believe that she is working somewhere. Because a career-focused woman like her won't stay at home.

I have filed a divorce petition after this. My queries are as follows:-
>> Can she claim maintenance after staying on her own for over 2 yrs?
>> Can she claim maintenance if she is working?
>> Can she claim maintenance even though she lied about being currently unemployed?
>> Can she claim maintenance against DV & Dowry allegations even though she stayed away from her matrimonial house for over 2 yrs?
>> What will be the best strategy for getting a divorce, taking least monetary damage?

Any suggestions/strategies/citations that you can give to help me make my case stronger will be appreciated. Thanks.

Learning

12 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     16 April 2015

Sir, No she will not get maintenance if she don't prove the reason for leaving the house, if she is working she also should not get the maintenance.... Best way is fight your case on merits and don't give her single penny .... Let her prove whatever she is alleging.... You stand your trail on merits .... But you should have file RCR to show your bonafide .... Warm Regards Kapil Chandna Adv 9899011450
1 Like

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     16 April 2015

The Supreme Court of India has ruled that a woman is entitled to claim maintenance from her husband if her independent income or earnings as a single woman are insufficient to maintain the standard of living she was accustomed to whilst living with her husband.

1 Like

LAXMINARAYAN - Sr Advocate. ( solve problems in criminal cases. lawproblems@gmail.com)     16 April 2015

It is not the duty of wife to prove why she left.

On the other husbands due to immature advice fail to take proper steps and get trapped in paying life long expanses..

Mr Ramachary is right .

1 Like

N R Dash.. (Advocate)     16 April 2015

Wife can claim maintenance. It is your part to prove that she is disqualified. You have already hired an advocate, please consult him & take his advice. He shall guide you and fight the case for you in proper legal ways.

1 Like

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     16 April 2015

Go through  the following 2 Judgements

IN THE SUPREME COURT OF INDIA

CIVIL APPELLATE JURISDICTION

CIVIL APPEAL NOS.1789-1790 OF 2009

(Arising out of SLP(C) NOS. 24589-24590 of 2007) Anu Kaul ........ Appellant Versus

Rajeev Kaul ........Respondent ORDER

Leave granted.

2) In the appeal filed by the respondent-husband before the High Court of Punjab and Haryana, being aggrieved by the judgment and decree passed by Addl. District Judge (Ad-hoc), Fast Track Court No.3, Faridabad, dated 04.06.2005, the appellant herein had filed an application under Section 24 of Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, for the grant of interim maintenance of Rs. 10,000/- (Rupees Ten Thousand only) and the litigation expense of Rs. 22,000/- (Rupees Twenty Two Thousand only). The application is partly allowed by the Court by its 1

order dated 23.08.2006, by granting an amount of Rs.10,000/- towards litigation expense and a sum of Rs.2,000/- for the maintenance of the minor child living with her. The Review Petition is also dismissed by the Court vide its order dated 21.03.2007, leaving it open to the appellant/applicant to claim interimmaintenance before an appropriate forum in the capacity as a Guardian of the child.

3) Challenging both the orders, the appellant-wife is before us in these appeals.

4) Though notice of special leave petition is served on the respondent- husband, for the reason best known to him, has not entered appearance either in person or through his counsel. 5) Marriage between the parties and birth of the female child Karmistha Kaul is not in dispute. The assertion of the appellant in the application filed under Section 24 of Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 that the respondent is working as a Senior Head of Mukund Steel Ltd., having its head office at Mumbai and drawing a salary of Rs.40,000/- per month and is entitled to claim perks for the education of his children was not denied by the respondent by filing his counter affidavit or reply statement.

6) In the application filed, the appellant admits that she is employed and drawing a salary of Rs.9,000/- per month. However, she asserts, she has to pay an amount of Rs.3,000/- by way of rent to the tenanted premises which she is presently occupying in view of the lis between the parties. She has also stated, that, Kumari Karmisatha Kaul is now grown up and she is studying in Senior School and due to insufficient funds, her education is being hampered.

7) A sermon on moral responsibility and ethics, in our opinion for disposing of this appeal may not be necessary, since the respondent has not disputed the assertion of the appellant. However, since the appellant is employed and is drawing a salary of Rs.9,000/- per month, we do not intend to enhance the interim maintenance awarded to her by the HighCourt during the pendency of the appeal filed by the husband. However, taking into consideration the child being the daughter of highly placed officer, the exorbitant fee structure in good Schools and the cost of living, we deem it proper to direct the respondent to pay a sum of Rs.5,000/- per month to the applicant commencing from 1st of April, 2009 for themaintenance of the minor child during the pendency of the appeals before the High Court. 8) The appeals are disposed of accordingly. 3

.......................................J. [ TARUN CHATTERJEE ]

.......................................J. [ H.L. DATTU ]

New Delhi,

March 23, 2009.

Judgment on maintenance  

Bench: A Pasayat, A Alam

CASE NO.:

Appeal (crl.) 1627 of 2007

PETITIONER:

Chaturbhuj

RESPONDENT:

Sita Bai

DATE OF JUDGMENT: 27/11/2007

BENCH:

Dr. ARIJIT PASAYAT & AFTAB ALAM

JUDGMENT:

J U D G M E N T

CRIMINAL APPEAL NO. 1627 OF 2007

(Arising out of SLP (Crl.) No.4379 of 2006)

Dr. ARIJIT PASAYAT, J.

1. Leave granted.

2. Challenge in this appeal is to the order passed by a learned Single Judge of the Madhya Pradesh High Court, Indore Bench, dismissing the revision petition filed by the appellant in terms of Section 482 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (in short 'Cr.P.C.'). The challenge before the High Court was to the order passed by learned Judicial Magistrate, First Class, Neemuch, M.P. as affirmed by the learned Additional Sessions Judge, Neemuch, M.P. The respondent had filed an application under Section 125 of Cr.P.C. claiming maintenance from the appellant. Undisputedly, the appellant and the respondent had entered into marital knot about four decades back and for more than two decades they were living separately. In the application it was claimed that she was unemployed and unable to maintain herself. Appellant had retired from the post of Assistant Director of Agriculture and was getting about Rs.8,000/- as pension and a similar amount as house rent. Besides this, he was lending money to people on interest. The appellant claimed Rs.10,000/- as maintenance. The stand of the appellant was that the applicant was living in the house constructed by the present appellant who had purchased 7 bighas of land in Ratlam in the name of the applicant. She let out the house on rent and since 1979 was residing with one of their sons. The applicant sold the agricultural land on 13.3.2003. The sale proceeds were still with the applicant. The appellant was getting pension of about Rs.5,700/- p.m. and was not getting any house rent regularly. He was getting 2-3 thousand rupees per month. The plea that the appellant had married another lady was denied. It was further submitted that the applicant at the relevant point of time was staying in the house of the appellant and electricity and water dues were being paid by him. The applicant can maintain herself from the money received from the sale of agricultural land and rent. Considering the evidence on record, the trial Court found that the applicant-respondent did not have sufficient means to maintain herself.

3. Revision petition was filed by the present appellant. Challenge was to the direction to pay Rs.1500/- p.m. by the trial Court. The stand was that the applicant was able to maintain herself from her income was reiterated. The revisional court analysed the evidence and held that the appellant's monthly income was more than Rs.10,000/- and the amount received as rent by the respondent-claimant was not sufficient to maintain herself. The revision was accordingly dismissed. The matter was further carried before the High Court by filing an application in terms of Section 482 Cr.P.C. The High Court noticed that the conclusions have been arrived at on appreciation of evidence and, therefore, there is no scope for any interference.

4. Section 125 Cr.P.C. reads as follows:

"125. (1) If any person having sufficient means neglects or refuses to maintain

(a) his wife, unable to maintain herself, or

(b) his legitimate or illegitimate minor child, whether married or not, unable to maintain itself, or

(c) his legitimate or illegitimate child (not being a married daughter) who has attained

majority, where such child is, by reason of any physical or mental abnormality or injury unable to maintain itself, or

(d) his father or mother, unable to maintain himself or herself,

a Magistrate of the First Class may, upon proof of such neglect or refusal, order such person to make a monthly allowance for the maintenance of his wife or such child, father or mother, at such monthly rate not exceeding five hundred rupees in the whole, as such Magistrate thinks fit, and to pay the same to such person as the Magistrate may from time to time direct:

Provided that the Magistrate may order the father of a minor female child referred to in clause (b) to make such allowance, until she attains her majority, if the Magistrate is satisfied that the husband of such minor female child, if married, is not possessed of sufficient means.

Explanation .For the purposes of this Chapter, (a) 'minor' means a person who, under the provisions of the Indian Majority Act, 1875 (9 of 1875), is deemed not to have attained his majority;

(b) 'wife' includes a woman who has been divorced by, or has obtained a divorce from, her husband and has not remarried."

["(2) Any such allowance for the maintenance or interim maintenance and expenses of proceeding shall be payable from the date of the order, or, if so ordered, from the date of the application for maintenance or interim maintenance and expenses of proceeding, as the case may be.";]

(3) If any person so ordered fails without sufficient cause to comply with the order, any such Magistrate may, for every breach of the order, issue a warrant for levying the amount due in the manner provided for levying fines, and may sentence such person, for the whole, or any port of each month's allowance 4 [allowance for the maintenance or the interim maintenance and expenses of proceeding , as the case may be] remaining unpaid after the execution of the warrant, to imprisonment for a term which may extend to one month or until payment if sooner made: Provided that no warrant shall be issued for the recovery of any amount due under this section unless application be made to the Court to levy such amount within a period of one year from the date on which it became due:

Provided further that if such person offers to maintain his wife on condition of her living with him, and she refuses to live with him, such Magistrate may consider any grounds of refusal stated by her, and may make an order under this section notwithstanding such offer, if he is satisfied that there is just ground for so doing.

Explanation.-If a husband has contracted marriage with another woman or keeps a mistress, it shall be considered to be just ground for his wife's refusal to live with him.

(4) No wife shall be entitled to receive an 4 [allowance for the maintenance or the interim maintenance and expenses of proceeding , as the case may be] from her husband under this section if she is living in adultery, or if, without any sufficient reason, she refuses to live with her, husband, or if they are living separately by mutual consent.

(5) On proof that any wife in whose favour an order has been made under this section is living in adultery, or that without sufficient reason she refuses to live with her husband, or that they are living separately by mutual consent, the Magistrate shall cancel the order."

5. The object of the maintenance proceedings is not to punish a person for his past neglect, but to prevent vagrancy by compelling those who can provide support to those who are unable to support themselves and who have a moral claim to support. The phrase "unable to maintain herself" in the instant case would mean that means available to the deserted wife while she was living with her husband and would not take within itself the efforts made by the wife after desertion to survive somehow. Section 125 Cr.P.C. is a measure of social justice and is specially enacted to protect women and children and as noted by this Court in Captain Ramesh Chander Kaushal v. Mrs. Veena Kaushal and Ors. (AIR 1978 SC 1807) falls within constitutional sweep of Article 15(3) reinforced by Article 39 of the Constitution of India, 1950 (in short the 'Constitution'). It is meant to achieve a social purpose. The object is to prevent vagrancy and destitution. It provides a speedy remedy for the supply of food, clothing and shelter to the deserted wife. It gives effect to fundamental rights and natural duties of a man to maintain his wife, children and parents when they are unable to maintain themselves. The aforesaid position was highlighted in Savitaben Somabhai Bhatiya v. State of Gujarat and Ors. (2005 (2) Supreme 503).

6. Under the law the burden is placed in the first place upon the wife to show that the means of her husband are sufficient. In the instant case there is no dispute that the appellant has the requisite means.

7. But there is an inseparable condition which has also to be satisfied that the wife was unable to maintain herself. These two conditions are in addition to the requirement that the husband must have neglected or refused to maintain his wife. It is has to be established that the wife was unable to maintain herself.The appellant has placed material to show that the respondent-wife was earning some income. That is not sufficient to rule out application of Section 125 Cr.P.C. It has to be established that with the amount she earned the respondent-wife was able to maintain herself.

8. In an illustrative case where wife was surviving by begging, would not amount to her ability to maintain herself. It can also be not said that the wife has been capable of earning but she was not making an effort to earn. Whether the deserted wife was unable to maintain herself, has to be decided on the basis of the material placed on record. Where the personal income of the wife is insufficient she can claim maintenance under Section 125 Cr.P.C. The test is whether the wife is in a position to maintain herself in the way she was used to in the place of her husband. In Bhagwan v. Kamla Devi (AIR 1975 SC 83) it was observed that the wife should be in a position to maintain standard of living which is neither luxurious nor penurious but what is consistent with status of a family. The expression "unable to maintain herself" does not mean that the wife must be absolutely destitute before she can apply for maintenance under Section 125 Cr.P.C.

9. In the instant case the trial Court, the Revisional Court and the High Court have analysed the evidence and held that the respondent wife was unable to maintain herself. The conclusions are essentially factual and they are not perverse. That being so there is no scope for interference in this appeal which is dismissed.

Judgment on maintenance  

Bench: A Pasayat, A Alam

CASE NO.:

Appeal (crl.) 1627 of 2007

PETITIONER:

Chaturbhuj

RESPONDENT:

Sita Bai

DATE OF JUDGMENT: 27/11/2007

BENCH:

Dr. ARIJIT PASAYAT & AFTAB ALAM

JUDGMENT:

J U D G M E N T

CRIMINAL APPEAL NO. 1627 OF 2007

(Arising out of SLP (Crl.) No.4379 of 2006)

Dr. ARIJIT PASAYAT, J.

1. Leave granted.

2. Challenge in this appeal is to the order passed by a learned Single Judge of the Madhya Pradesh High Court, Indore Bench, dismissing the revision petition filed by the appellant in terms of Section 482 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (in short 'Cr.P.C.'). The challenge before the High Court was to the order passed by learned Judicial Magistrate, First Class, Neemuch, M.P. as affirmed by the learned Additional Sessions Judge, Neemuch, M.P. The respondent had filed an application under Section 125 of Cr.P.C. claiming maintenance from the appellant. Undisputedly, the appellant and the respondent had entered into marital knot about four decades back and for more than two decades they were living separately. In the application it was claimed that she was unemployed and unable to maintain herself. Appellant had retired from the post of Assistant Director of Agriculture and was getting about Rs.8,000/- as pension and a similar amount as house rent. Besides this, he was lending money to people on interest. The appellant claimed Rs.10,000/- as maintenance. The stand of the appellant was that the applicant was living in the house constructed by the present appellant who had purchased 7 bighas of land in Ratlam in the name of the applicant. She let out the house on rent and since 1979 was residing with one of their sons. The applicant sold the agricultural land on 13.3.2003. The sale proceeds were still with the applicant. The appellant was getting pension of about Rs.5,700/- p.m. and was not getting any house rent regularly. He was getting 2-3 thousand rupees per month. The plea that the appellant had married another lady was denied. It was further submitted that the applicant at the relevant point of time was staying in the house of the appellant and electricity and water dues were being paid by him. The applicant can maintain herself from the money received from the sale of agricultural land and rent. Considering the evidence on record, the trial Court found that the applicant-respondent did not have sufficient means to maintain herself.

3. Revision petition was filed by the present appellant. Challenge was to the direction to pay Rs.1500/- p.m. by the trial Court. The stand was that the applicant was able to maintain herself from her income was reiterated. The revisional court analysed the evidence and held that the appellant's monthly income was more than Rs.10,000/- and the amount received as rent by the respondent-claimant was not sufficient to maintain herself. The revision was accordingly dismissed. The matter was further carried before the High Court by filing an application in terms of Section 482 Cr.P.C. The High Court noticed that the conclusions have been arrived at on appreciation of evidence and, therefore, there is no scope for any interference.

4. Section 125 Cr.P.C. reads as follows:

"125. (1) If any person having sufficient means neglects or refuses to maintain

(a) his wife, unable to maintain herself, or

(b) his legitimate or illegitimate minor child, whether married or not, unable to maintain itself, or

(c) his legitimate or illegitimate child (not being a married daughter) who has attained

majority, where such child is, by reason of any physical or mental abnormality or injury unable to maintain itself, or

(d) his father or mother, unable to maintain himself or herself,

a Magistrate of the First Class may, upon proof of such neglect or refusal, order such person to make a monthly allowance for the maintenance of his wife or such child, father or mother, at such monthly rate not exceeding five hundred rupees in the whole, as such Magistrate thinks fit, and to pay the same to such person as the Magistrate may from time to time direct:

Provided that the Magistrate may order the father of a minor female child referred to in clause (b) to make such allowance, until she attains her majority, if the Magistrate is satisfied that the husband of such minor female child, if married, is not possessed of sufficient means.

Explanation .For the purposes of this Chapter, (a) 'minor' means a person who, under the provisions of the Indian Majority Act, 1875 (9 of 1875), is deemed not to have attained his majority;

(b) 'wife' includes a woman who has been divorced by, or has obtained a divorce from, her husband and has not remarried."

["(2) Any such allowance for the maintenance or interim maintenance and expenses of proceeding shall be payable from the date of the order, or, if so ordered, from the date of the application for maintenance or interim maintenance and expenses of proceeding, as the case may be.";]

(3) If any person so ordered fails without sufficient cause to comply with the order, any such Magistrate may, for every breach of the order, issue a warrant for levying the amount due in the manner provided for levying fines, and may sentence such person, for the whole, or any port of each month's allowance 4 [allowance for the maintenance or the interim maintenance and expenses of proceeding , as the case may be] remaining unpaid after the execution of the warrant, to imprisonment for a term which may extend to one month or until payment if sooner made: Provided that no warrant shall be issued for the recovery of any amount due under this section unless application be made to the Court to levy such amount within a period of one year from the date on which it became due:

Provided further that if such person offers to maintain his wife on condition of her living with him, and she refuses to live with him, such Magistrate may consider any grounds of refusal stated by her, and may make an order under this section notwithstanding such offer, if he is satisfied that there is just ground for so doing.

Explanation.-If a husband has contracted marriage with another woman or keeps a mistress, it shall be considered to be just ground for his wife's refusal to live with him.

(4) No wife shall be entitled to receive an 4 [allowance for the maintenance or the interim maintenance and expenses of proceeding , as the case may be] from her husband under this section if she is living in adultery, or if, without any sufficient reason, she refuses to live with her, husband, or if they are living separately by mutual consent.

(5) On proof that any wife in whose favour an order has been made under this section is living in adultery, or that without sufficient reason she refuses to live with her husband, or that they are living separately by mutual consent, the Magistrate shall cancel the order."

5. The object of the maintenance proceedings is not to punish a person for his past neglect, but to prevent vagrancy by compelling those who can provide support to those who are unable to support themselves and who have a moral claim to support. The phrase "unable to maintain herself" in the instant case would mean that means available to the deserted wife while she was living with her husband and would not take within itself the efforts made by the wife after desertion to survive somehow. Section 125 Cr.P.C. is a measure of social justice and is specially enacted to protect women and children and as noted by this Court in Captain Ramesh Chander Kaushal v. Mrs. Veena Kaushal and Ors. (AIR 1978 SC 1807) falls within constitutional sweep of Article 15(3) reinforced by Article 39 of the Constitution of India, 1950 (in short the 'Constitution'). It is meant to achieve a social purpose. The object is to prevent vagrancy and destitution. It provides a speedy remedy for the supply of food, clothing and shelter to the deserted wife. It gives effect to fundamental rights and natural duties of a man to maintain his wife, children and parents when they are unable to maintain themselves. The aforesaid position was highlighted in Savitaben Somabhai Bhatiya v. State of Gujarat and Ors. (2005 (2) Supreme 503).

6. Under the law the burden is placed in the first place upon the wife to show that the means of her husband are sufficient. In the instant case there is no dispute that the appellant has the requisite means.

7. But there is an inseparable condition which has also to be satisfied that the wife was unable to maintain herself. These two conditions are in addition to the requirement that the husband must have neglected or refused to maintain his wife. It is has to be established that the wife was unable to maintain herself.The appellant has placed material to show that the respondent-wife was earning some income. That is not sufficient to rule out application of Section 125 Cr.P.C. It has to be established that with the amount she earned the respondent-wife was able to maintain herself.

8. In an illustrative case where wife was surviving by begging, would not amount to her ability to maintain herself. It can also be not said that the wife has been capable of earning but she was not making an effort to earn. Whether the deserted wife was unable to maintain herself, has to be decided on the basis of the material placed on record. Where the personal income of the wife is insufficient she can claim maintenance under Section 125 Cr.P.C. The test is whether the wife is in a position to maintain herself in the way she was used to in the place of her husband. In Bhagwan v. Kamla Devi (AIR 1975 SC 83) it was observed that the wife should be in a position to maintain standard of living which is neither luxurious nor penurious but what is consistent with status of a family. The expression "unable to maintain herself" does not mean that the wife must be absolutely destitute before she can apply for maintenance under Section 125 Cr.P.C.

9. In the instant case the trial Court, the Revisional Court and the High Court have analysed the evidence and held that the respondent wife was unable to maintain herself. The conclusions are essentially factual and they are not perverse. That being so there is no scope for interference in this appeal which is dismissed.

1 Like

rohanpatil   17 April 2015

Thank you all for your replies. Even though what you said might be true as per the law, but its definitely demoralizing for someone in my position. Even though the wife moved out by her own accord, made false allegations, wants to take revenge and extort money, is well-qualified and capable of earning a handsome salary; and still I am the one who has to suffer and pay her maintenance. Sounds a lot like terrorism. No wonder men are committing suicide these days. It's the Indian law really, that has armed disgruntled and vengeful wives, who can easily use this weapon at their will, for legally terrorizing their husbands.

And yes, I have already hired a lawyer who filed my divorce petition, and I do not doubt her capabilities. The only reason I posted here is because 2 heads are better than one. I was hoping to get some pointers from some veterans that could help me fight my case in a better way, thereby sustaining least damage. Any advice in that regard is welcome. I do have one query though:-
>> Since my wife moved out of her matrimonial house more than 2 yrs ago, if the court does ask me to pay her maintenance, will it consider my financial status (Salary) or standard of living as it was when she moved out? Or as it is at present?

vivekjoshi   17 April 2015

Your wife can claim maintenance U/S 125 Cr.P.C, Interim Maintenance U/S 24 of HMA and DV 2005. 

Unfortunately in these cases, It is your duty to prove that your wife is working and she has sufficient income to support herself.

So if you have information that she is working somewhere, please try to get her salary details.

You can get the Rent agreement of the Powai house which is your wife name. Who is paying the rent of the same.

The best strategy for seeking a divorce is to ask the family court to refer you both to mediation and negotiate terms and conditions of mutual divorce. In any case family court will refer you both to mediation.

1 Like

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     17 April 2015

That is the way of life. Whether U make it beautiful or break it into pieces, we are responsible . Sometimes U may have to pay for the sins committed by others.

Well, better go for mutual divorce, U are sure reunion is not a possibility. 

1 Like

rohanpatil   18 April 2015

Thanks folks!!! Can someone please help me understand this query:-
>> Since my wife moved out of her matrimonial house more than 2 yrs ago, if the court does ask me to pay her maintenance, will it consider my financial status (Salary) or standard of living as it was when she moved out? Or as it is at present?

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     18 April 2015

The court will take into consideration UR present financial status only, for granting maintenance.

sridher (system analyst)     19 April 2015

find for the judgements like wife desrts no maintanance.

all ready 2 is over you will get the divorse very easy.

go to the high and the order to dispose of with in stipulated time

and one more judge is given by supreme court the court should not the the husband to pay the maintanance if the husband is job less

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     24 April 2015

You query is combination of many issues, few of which are not confirmed by you yourself. For example you are still in doubt whether she is employed or not, if so how do you think that you can challenge and repudiate her claim for maintenance?,  You say that she in her first reply notice has stated to have gone out of your house on her own, why dont you use that as a documentary evidence o prove her desertion or abandoning the matrimonial house. ?

She can very well claim maintenance or even file DV act case despite she was not in your company for two years or more, the allegations are to be challenged by you during trial only. 

The maintenance will be decided on the basis of present status only, so better take precautions to defend yourself accordingly.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register