LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Meenakshi Vijayanand (Advocate / Law Firm)     14 November 2009

Law of inheritance sunni muslim

A sunni muslim dies leaving being WIFE, DAUGHTER AND SON.  FATHER AND MOTHER PREDECEASED.  NO BROTHER ONLY ONE SISTER.

LET ME KNOW WHETHER THE SISTER HAS GOT ANY RIGHT OVER THE PROPERTY.

WHAT IS THE PROPORTION OF SHARE AVAILABLE FOR EACH HEIR?

Learning

13 Replies

P.K.Haridasan (Advocate)     14 November 2009

Dear Madam Meenashi

No share for the sister in Sunni law of inheritence when the deceased has got a son and daughter. Please let us know whether the deceased has got only one wife.

1 Like

imthiyaz (employee)     14 November 2009

No share for sister when the deceased is having children as per sunni law..Mr P.K HAridasan is right...

AEJAZ AHMED (Legal Consultant/Lawyer)     14 November 2009

Dear Meenakshi,

As per Quran in Surah " Annis"  ( Sura No: 4) Ayath No: 7,   a share is provided to Women also, Please read English Translation of particular Ayat.  

لِلرِّجَالِ نَصِیۡبٌ مِّمَّا تَرَکَ الْوَالِدٰنِ وَالۡاَقْرَبُوۡنَ ۪ وَلِلنِّسَآءِ نَصِیۡبٌ مِّمَّا تَرَکَ الْوَالِدٰنِ وَالۡاَقْرَبُوۡنَ مِمَّا قَلَّ مِنْہُ اَوْکَثُرَ ؕ نَصِیۡبًا مَّفْرُوۡضًا ﴿۷﴾

مردوں کے لئے حصہ ہے اس میں سے جو چھوڑ گئے ماں باپ اور قرابت والے اور عورتوں کے لئے حصہ ہے اس میں سے جو چھوڑ گئے ماں باپ اور قرابت والے ترکہ تھوڑا ہو یا بہت حصہ ہے اندازہ باندھا ہوا (ف۱۷)

" For men there is share in what their parents and relatives have left behind, and for women there is share in what their parents and relatives have left behind, be the bequest little or be it much, it is a share estimated, determined. "

For Mr. Imtiyaz Kindly Read Page Nos: 324 to 330  the Tafheem-ul-Quran

1 Like

Dear Meenakshi,

As per Quran in Surah " An-nisa"  ( Sura No: 4) Ayath No: 7,   a share is provided to Women also, Please read the English Translation of particular Ayat mentioned as above.  

yes the deceased has got only one wife

Sir Thank you for your esteemed reply please let me know what the son predeceased the father  did the father get any share in the property of the son

یُوۡصِیۡکُمُ اللہُ فِیۡۤ اَوْلَادِکُمْ ٭ لِلذَّکَرِ مِثْلُ حَظِّ الۡاُنۡثَیَیۡنِ ۚ فَاِنۡ کُنَّ نِسَآءً فَوْقَ اثْنَتَیۡنِ فَلَہُنَّ ثُلُثَا مَا تَرَکَ ۚ وَ اِنۡ کَانَتْ وَاحِدَۃً فَلَہَا النِّصْفُ ؕ وَ لِاَبَوَیۡہِ لِکُلِّ وَاحِدٍ مِّنْہُمَا السُّدُسُ مِمَّا تَرَکَ اِنۡ کَانَ لَہٗ وَلَدٌ ۚ فَاِنۡ لَّمْ یَکُنۡ لَّہٗ وَلَدٌ وَّوَرِثَہٗۤ اَبَوٰہُ فَلِاُمِّہِ الثُّلُثُ ۚ فَاِنۡ کَانَ لَہٗۤ اِخْوَۃٌ فَلِاُمِّہِ السُّدُسُ مِنۡۢ بَعْدِ وَصِیَّۃٍ یُّوۡصِیۡ بِہَاۤ اَوْدَیۡنٍ ؕ اٰبَآؤُکُمْ وَاَبۡنَاؤُکُمْ لَا تَدْرُوۡنَ اَیُّہُمْ اَقْرَبُ لَکُمْ نَفْعًا ؕ فَرِیۡضَۃً مِّنَ اللہِ ؕ اِنَّ اللہَ کَانَ عَلِیۡمًا حَکِیۡمًا ﴿۱۱﴾

Allah commands you concerning your children:

(a)  the share of male is equal to the share of two females;

(b)  then if there be daughters only, though more than two, then for them is two third of what is left,

(c)  and if there be only one daughter, for her is one half.

(d) And for each of the parents of the deceased is one sixth (1/6) of what is left,

(e) if there be a child of the deceased, but if he has no child and leaves parents, then for the mother is one third;

(f) but if there be his many sisters and brothers, then for the mother is one sixth,

(g) after any bequest which has been made and debts.

Your fathers and your sons, you know not which of them will be more profitable to you.

This is fixed proportion from Allah. Undoubtedly Allah is All Knowing, Wise.

As per Quran and as mentioned above  in Surah " An-nisa"  ( Sura No: 4) Ayath No: 11, it  is providing shares of " 1/6 EACH "  to Parents (Mother & Father) of deceased also,

P.K.Haridasan (Advocate)     19 November 2009

Dear Madam, Father will get 1/6th sahre from the deceased son's property as per Sunni law of Inheritence.

Anees (manja)     16 February 2010

Dear sir, i am muslim followed by mohammedan law .My father has Three younger brothers and 

Four sisters (married). My father purchase "A" "B" and "C" Schedule property, "A" Schedule 

poperty purchase My grandfather name .My Grandfather exipre on 1990. My father also exipre 

on 2007. But My grandfather Registered WILL my father name, and all brothers and sisters 

given CONSENT LATTERS and agree this WILL .

"B" Schedule property pucrhase own name my father name, no joint name , no parnership. 

"C" Schedule Property purchse in all brothers name. this property already sold . 1985

Now my father's one brother suite property. they need all equal shares. Lower court 

decission "A" schedule property only granted Home, no land

"B" shedule property equal share 48/11. (B Shedule property own purchase name my father)

C schedule property Dismissed.

please tell me Mohammedan Law possible this degree? i appealed already in HIGH COURT.

please urgent.

Anees

Anees (manja)     17 February 2010

Salam Ajeaz Ahmad Bhai. AAp ne bathaya ki sura al-nisa ke baare me, usme ayath no 11 and 12 me clear mentioned hain ki .....he has  wife ,  son and  daughters , there all shares going to his wife and children . no share going to brothers and sisters.

2. he has no wife and children there all share going to his father and mother.  his father and mother alive no shares for brothers and sisters.

3. he has no wife, no children and no his father and mother , there  1/6 share going to brother and sisiters.

Mohammedan - Law he has wife and sons and daughters ,no rights brothers and sisters any shares. 

this ayath 11 and 12. surah AL-NISA. 

leenam bansode (law student)     24 November 2011

can u plz tell me what will be the share of daughter and son in above asked question. 

wife- 1/8

son and daughter - residuary.

is this correct?

Tanmay Jain   04 December 2015

What will be the share of an unmarried woman along with her two brother(Major, Married & having kids) and a widowed sister-in-law with respect to the amount of Rs. 100/- ? The family belongs to Memon community and the case of inheritance is intestate in nature

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register