LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

JP Singh (Joint Director)     02 April 2014

Fraud posing sbi credit card official

On Saturday 29 March 2014, 13:13 hrs, a call from a lady from phone number +911166610660 came on my mobile stating that I am from SBI Credit card customer care and you are being sent a new card on which you can avail 30% discount on any purchases. I told that my card is working fine and valid up to June 2018, so why shall I accept a new card which will get on me new charges. She said that new card is totally free and please confirm your postal address and to my surprise she was knowing my complete postal address. That got me sure that she must be from SBI credit card only. Still I said I don't want to share any details on phone as such calls have come to me in past too asking all my credit card details. She said that those calls must have been from frauds and I shall take care and your new card will be sent to you soon.

On Monday 31 March 2014 hrs, same lady called me that my senior department from SBI Card will be confirming your credit card details so that your new card can be activated. Then a man came on phone stating that I am Sarvesh and you can treat me as your younger brother and ask me any advise regarding credit cards in future too on this number. So please confirm your credit card number and he stated my credit card number correctly. I confirmed it and then he said the expiry date and I confirmed. After that the lady took over and requested said that activation is complete but we need to put your CVV number also. Can you please take your card out in your hand and tell that. I said OK and told her the CVV number. Then the man said that your new card has been activated and you will receive this new card, a watch and a travel voucher with entire family. This total package costs around Rs. 15000-Rs. 20000 but since you are our esteemed customer so we are giving you at a small price of Rs. 5799/-. I said that you said initially that it was free.

My suspicion started here. The person said that off course it is free as the charges will be later done when you will purchase things on the discounts which you are going to avail. Now my courier person will confirm the details. Courier person (so called) came on phone and said that OK sir, your postal address is confirmed and now the charges if Rs. 5799/- will be debited on your credit card statement as DD creations. I got furious that I don't approve this deal and cut the phone. They kept calling me continuously for 10 times after that which I did not picked up.

Fortunately, now SBI card has introduced One Time Password (OTP) which come on mobile and so they could not transact even after knowing my CVV number. I came to my office and talked to SBI credit card people about this incidence on lost card section. SBI card people said that they do not have any tie ups with DD creations. I requested them to immediately block my card and they blocked it. After that SBI card people said that new card will be dispatched soon with a charge of Rs. 112/-. Till date, transaction of Rs. 5799/- has not occurred on my card. SBI card people also said me not to talk with such people cut the phone as soon as possible.

The cheaters called me on Tuesday 01 April 2014 also from another phone number +911166549931, stating that you have to pay Rs. 5799/- for the package. I cut the call saying that first you need to prove your identity.

Following questions arise:

1. How the cheaters from Delhi knew my exact postal address and credit card number when I reside in Dehradun (May be that courier service which SBI card is using is involved in this scam. I seriously have this doubt because last time also when I needed a new card, the courier fellow on phone started giving a similar bogus offer on which I denied, then he started shouting and I said better you don't send my card I will take amex card instead but my SBI card card came to me). I also have a serious doubt that even SBI credit card in involved in it and when anything wrong happens they will say that the courier fellow has done it. Otherwise why SBI card shall use a rougue courier service. Something is very fishy with SBI credit cards too.

2. Can I lodge an FIR with police even if no Financial losses have occurred? If yes shall I do it to save others? Will it cost me. Will the police ask money from me?

3. Am I safe as the cheaters know my home address now?

4. Can the police catch them just from phone numbers and call timings?

Learning

6 Replies

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     02 April 2014

contact a lawyer personally it will be better

1 Like

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     02 April 2014

better meet area SHO

Kumar Doab (FIN)     02 April 2014

Never share your CVV number with anyone.

Note it and keep it at some safe place (avoid emails, Mobile phone memory, SMS, shared portals etc) and memorize it.

NO CC company shall own responsibility for any fraud due to sharing of CVV number by CC holder.

Write the details of calls to CC company and narrate the dates, phone numbers, names ( avoid to write that you provided CVV number) and ask them to investigate and lodge complaint……………..

Get into the habit of recording calls made to CC company and to obtain complaint/reference number, name of CCE, and ask him/her to read the complaint noted by him/her in his/her computer notebook, word by word, coma by coma………………..

Lodge a complaint with local SHO and if possible visit SSP/Commissioner office and the concerned personnel can provide you the ownership details of phone number on the spot……………………..

Next time ask the calling person to speak his/her phone number from which the call is made, name, name of his company, full address with pin code number……………………Most likely it shall be fake…………..

If it happens to be number of some promotional company report it immediately to the TRAI and telecom company too…………………..

Don’t buy from online companies.

YOU can get the best deal from wholesaler also, locally.

1 Like

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     16 April 2014

lucky to have good sound advise.

S K KARNjhc (Legal Adviser)     17 April 2014

You should be having in good habit of using the advice smartly to avoid further unwanted trace

mahendra limaye (Cyber Legal Consultant)     25 April 2014

Dear Complainant you can recover your lost money with due process of law.If you have not filed FIR by this time,do it immediately because it will be required for availing the civil remedy for recovery of your lost money.I have dealt such cases.For more discussions call 09422109619.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register